24 - thanks

The way home is quiet and thoughtful. I want to scream or cry, but nothing happens. Instead music fills the car.

I grab Hunter's hand and sigh softly, tension easing when he squeezes my hand. I feel super shitty in this moment. He makes it a little better.

Travis thought comfort was sex. Hunter? He knew what it was. It was just company.

We reach home just in time, Hunter carrying the apples while I open the door and smells waft to the outside. I want to go to bed more than anything right now. I do t think I can handle the rest of the family right now.

We step into the kitchen, setting the apples on the counter and looking around the kitchen. Don, Luke, Eli, Jessie, and Kim. They are all busy, cooking or putting together something. Hunter snatches a pickle wrap and hands it to me.

Jessie finally notices us and smiles, "How was it?"

"It was great," I cut off Hunter, smiling at Jessie.

I would be lying if I said it was genuine. People make mistakes, her cheating isn't what pisses me off. It is her treatment of her own son. Collin really deserves better. The cheating was a mistake, the child? Not at all.

"Good. Why don't you kids go watch TV until dinner is done? It will be another hour or so, loves."

Hunter hoists Luke onto his shoulders, who is hiccuping from excitement this time. He carries the smaller boy into the living room. I turn to Eli and grab her hand, leading her into the living room. Luke is next to Hunter, so I sit on Hunter's other side with Eli.

We end watching seven episodes of Steven Universe, Collin eventually joins us. Something about him seems a little better. He seems a lot more at ease near me and around me. I'd be lying if I said it didn't make me happy.

Luke hurries into the kitchen to bug about dinner, Eli isn't far behind him. I look at Hunter. I frown at the amount of space between us and he notices. I know that later we will make up for it.

Collin gives us a strange look but then turns his attention back to the TV. I wonder what he is thinking.

"Boys, time to eat!" Kim calls shakily and warmly from the door of the dining room. I didn't know they had a separate dining room until everyone started piling into a door in the kitchen.

When I see all the food, my stomach growls involuntarily. I wonder for a second if I have ever seen this much food at once. We didn't really e we celebrate Thanksgiving at the foster facility.

We kinda just binged movies and ate breakfast all day. It was pretty cool, but this is too. I sit next to Hunter, across from Eli and Collin. Everyone is at the table. I mean e everyone. Charlie, Hannah, Don, Kim, Jessie, Remy, Eli, Luke, Collin, Hunter, and I. Even Duncan, the small fur ball of hate in sitting beneath the table.

I notice for once he is close to me, rubbing his head against my ankle. Oh so now he is going to be nice to me? It is probably the food.

Jessie smiles at everyone, they all grab hands. I am between Don and Hunter, holding both of their hands. Don's hands are calloused and warm, Hunter's are similar but more familiar.

Then everyone is bowing their head, leaving me confused. Hunter grins as he looks at me from the corner of his eye.

"Thank you, Lord for the company we keep and the family we have. For the food on the table and let everyone reminisce on what they are thankful tonight. Amen."

"Amen," Everyone else repeats.

"What are you thankful for, Luke?" Jessie asks, starting a circle while we start to eat.