21 - replacement

The windows are rolled down, allowing chilly air to blow in from outside. Thankfully, for a November day, it is pretty warm.

I look outside. I feel nervous suddenly. This is Collin, the guy who has hated every single part of me since I was brought to their house.

"Would you stop tapping your foot?" Collin seethes with venom.

I frown, "Sorry."

He laughs suddenly, super hard. I almost expect him to drive into a tree. I watch him confused and kinda annoyed. Why did he think it was funny?

"You're something," The laughter dies down and he shakes his head while he drives.

Unlike Hunter, he surprisingly sticks to the speed limit. It is back to silence. The truck's engine hums, occasionally making a chugging noise beneath it's heavy hood.

"Who's truck is this?" I look at him briefly.

"Joe."

"Who's Joe?" I ask with raised eyebrows.

"Joe mama," He doesn't even offer a smile.

It is clear I won't get a straight answer from him. I thought we might be restarting, then he turns onto the highway and I'm very confused.

"Where are we going?" I gaze around the inside of the vehicle, it looks old.

He snorts, "Do you ever stop asking questions? Seriously, you are like a child."

"Ok," I exhale loudly then turn towards him, "What did I do to you? Seriously, I'm just trying to be nice and you are a dick."

Collin stops talking, shifting his jaw. After a while, he glances at me and runs a hand through his hair. When his hand reaches the steering wheel he starts talking.

"It has nothing to do with you, idiot," He shakes his head, "You're just perfect. You're everything my parents have ever wanted. They love you."

Suddenly my heart wilts. I feel sadness seep into the darkest corners of my being. Is that really how he feels? He doesn't hate me, but he misses his parents?

"Everyone is fond of you. Especially my brother. Fuck, I spent so many years trying to impress him and one up him. You come along and he is nothing but perfect to you. Hell, perhaps he is in love with you or something crazy. He treats you like you are royalty, a special guest."

I feel like a puzzle piece that has been replacing another. I am like a vegetable in the fruit section. I don't belong there. It feels like I'm in a costume. Hey, i didn't ask for the role. He is right.

"I'm sorry."

"Stop apologizing," He practically hisses at me, "Seriously."

I bite my lip and look back outside. I allow the tension to wave slowly. Once he looks normal again, I speak again.

"So... Where are we going, anyway? This is clearly out of town."

"There is a party in the next town, my cousin is going to be there and she invited me. Showing you around was a good excuse to go."

His words are like an icycle to the heart. It hurts

"Oh. Like drinking?"

"Yeah."

"Smoking?"

"Oh, definitely."

"Sex...?"

He grins wolfishly, "Yep."

I smile, "If we get in trouble it is all on you."

He holds up his hands in surrender, "I'm not taking the blame for shit."