17 - flight

I am attempting to pack shit up for our vacation, but it isn't going too well. I try to sort through my clothes and figure out which ones I will need, but honestly I am clueless.

I pout and turn down the volume of my music, tossing a shirt onto the desk. I am not getting anywhere.

"Mind if I help?" I turn around to face Jessie, one of the prettiest beings I have ever seen.

It is easy to tell where Hunter got his looks from. Everything from his honey nut hair, to his golden skin and freckles. Jessie had the exact same, minus the dimples.

I smile at her, "I'm sorry. Am I taking too long?"

She laughs, hoop earrings dangling from her ears while her glossy lips unleash a smile. Her eyes are paired with black winged liner and false lashes that just top it off. She is dressed in a creme cardigan, a white tanktop, dark jeans, and flats. Everything about her screams sweet and homey.

"Nah, none of the other boys are even halfway. C'mon, I can show you a few tricks."

She steps into the room, lifting up a gray jumper and folding it neatly into the suitcase. Already, she is doing better than I was.

"When I was younger my parents used to take me and my brother to New York during Christmas time. The worst part was always the packing," She folds a pair of black skinny jeans, then a pair of sweatpants.

"Why New York? I ask cluelessly.

She looks at me. I sit crossed-legged on the bed, watching her and folding the clothes she gives me.

"My father loved theatre, he used to take us every single year to go see something on Broadway. I can still remember the excitement. However, I will never see Cats again."

I laugh with her, then she continues, "Actually, we are going to Kansas to visit my brother and his wife."

I put my deodorant, toothbrush, toothpaste, and cologne is a smaller bag to be put in the suitcase later.

"I have never been anywhere but here that I know of. Except for when I was just a baby, I was born in Michigan actually... Although somehow the foster system brought me here... To Washington."

Jessie frowns a little then pinches my cheeks softly, "Well that's how you were brought to us isn't it?"

I nod and suddenly I'm in tears. Jessie hugs me without question as memories of when I was very young flashed through my eyes. Memories of my mom.

"It's ok, sweetheart, just breathe."

We rock together for a while. I take refuge in her warmth until I calm down. She kisses my forehead after a while then gets up with a soft smile.

"Do you think you can handle the rest of the clothes? I will get you another suitcase," She turns and then she is gone.

I wipe my puffy eyes then splash water on my face from the small bathroom. Everything is fine. I pray that I can get my shit together.

• • •

Hunter helps me carry my suitcase to the car, his gaze concerned at my glossy eyes and red nose. I brush it off.

I climb back up the stairs to grab my phone charger, shoes, and the picture beneath my mattress. I stare at the photo of my mother and I. It is in the hospital, I was just born. She looks so tired.

I frown and wipe my eyes, then arms encircle me.

"I don't even know why she didn't want me."