Chapter 29: He stalked out of the apartment, slamming the door behind him.

Catalina Kyle

"Why didn't you listen to me?" I slammed my bag down onto the counter.

"Because I don't take orders from you, Greyson!" He glared at me.

"This was civilian situation. You weren't paying attention to the crowd." He crossed his arms over his chest. "Someone could have gotten hurt and that would be on you." I whirled around and pointed a finger at him.

"Shut the fuck up, Greyson. I was keeping my eyes on certain people in the crowd and I would have done what I needed to do. What the hell's gotten into you anyway?" We were currently standing in the kitchen of my apartment after a failed attempt to find the music maker. We hadn't found her but we'd found some of the men who'd been working for her and the situation had gone south. We'd both changed back into our civilian clothes before coming back to my apartment. Dick shook his head.

"I don't know. Maybe I'm just stressed out about the fact that my girlfriend doesn't know how to handle combat." I scoffed and turned away from him.

"I know how to handle combat a lot better than you do. All you want to do is hide. I feel like you're upset about something else."

"Maybe you're right. Maybe my girlfriend sneaking around and robbing places may be the reason." My head whipped to face him.

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" He shook his head.

"Nothing. Forget about it." He turned around and started towards the door.

"Oh no." I seized the back of his blue hoodie and spun him around to face me.

"You don't get to admit you've been spying on me and than try and leave." I was holding his against the doorframe with my arm pressed against chest. His blue eyes hardened as he looked down at me.

"So you admit that you've been stealing again. I thought that you were trustworthy. I really thought that you were different from-" I slammed into him, effectively slamming him back into the door frame again.

"You thought I was different from my family? Is that what you were going to say?" Dick rubbed the back of his head from where it had bounced off the door frame.

"Cat, I didn't mean to-" I could see the regret in his eyes and hear the guilt in his voice but I released him and turned away, throwing my hands into the air.

"Well I'm sorry that my family isn't perfect! I'm so sorry that I was raised a thief and grew up around villains." Dick grabbed my wrist and tried to calm me down.

"Cat-" I ripped my arm out of his grip.

"Villains who have all bested your boss in their own rights!" I could see the blow land and immediately regretted it. Dick's face went blank before he drew himself up to his full height which was about a full head taller than me.

"Yeah. They've bested Batman. But you know who else they've 'bested'? Me." I raised my hands in a non threatening manner.

"Ok, low blow. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have-" He advanced on me.

"Do you know how many of you 'family' members have affected me? Do you know how many of them are the reason that I don't get a full night's rest because I'm either hunting them down in real life or their hunting me down in my nightmares?!?" I lowered my head and winced as I backed up into the counter.

"Dick, I'm sorry." He towered over me.

"You think your nightmares from the Music Maker are bad? I was beaten by Two Face after being responsible for the death of a public official!"

"I didn't know..." My voice was quiet and shaking and it was only in that moment that I realized that Dick was shaking as well.

"What's going on here?" Both of us looked up to see Selena standing in the doorway, the door to the apartment open behind her. My heart dropped. How much of our fight had she heard?

"Just a little fight, mom. Nothing major." I mumbled. Selena looked between the pair of us, her gaze hard.

"Step away from my daughter." Dick took a step back from me and shoved his hands into his pockets to hide the shaking.

"Sorry." He muttered. I couldn't tell if he was being sincere or not because his voice was a mixture of emotions.

"Get out of my apartment." Selena pointed at the door.

"Mom, no. It's fine-" But Dick turned away from me.

"I'll see you later, Cat." Dick interrupted me. He stalked out of the apartment, slamming the door behind him.