Thought I lost you- Shadaze

He knew this was a bad idea from the start. He should have fought harder against it, but none of them listened. Now, thanks to one single, stupid mission, he lost her. Another person he let into his heart and he had to watch as they died right before his eyes.

That's were he remained for when felt like forever. His eyes glued down past the edge of the cliff that she had fallen down. A fall no one but himself would be able to survive.

"Shadow...I'm so sorry..." Sonic places his hand on the black hedgehog's shoulder. "I know how it feels to-"

Shadow smacked his hand away and glared at his long time rival.

"I don't want to hear it." Shadow growled. "You know nothing. None of you do."

Shadow didn't wait for them to say anything else. He only teleported away to a place none of them knew about, except for her. The secret cave that was deep in the forest. It was a really beautiful spot and he needed the reminders.

He only meant to stay there a few hours, but those hours turned into days. He couldn't bring himself to leave. When he is there, it's like she is still here with him. She isn't gone.

"Shadow?"

He turned to see his best friend and usual partner in crime. She was dressed in a nice black dress but didn't look like her usual confident self.

"What do you want Rouge?" Shadow grumbled.

"Today is Blaze's funereal. I think you should come." Rouge said.

"I'm not going." Shadow turned away.

"Shadow, you have been in here for days. You need to get away from this. It isn't healthy." Rouge snapped.

"My line of work isn't healthy." Shadow retorted. "Should I quit the agency then? Should I cut out every little thing that is 'unhealthy'!"

There was a brief silence as they glared angrily at each other.

"You're not the only one hurting here Shadow. We all miss her and wish things could be different, but they aren't. Blaze is gone and there is nothing anyone can do about it. Not even the Ultimate life form." Rouge stated. Shadow turned away as tears began to form. "I know you're in pain. A lot more than the rest of us and you don't have to come, but I still think it would help you if you did."

Shadow didn't respond. The bat knew it was a long shot but decided that this was as far as she was going to get. So, she flew away to meet her friends at the funeral.

When Shadow was sure she was out of ear shot, he released all the awful feelings he had been keeping bottled up. Every ounce of anger, sadness, pain, and regret. One of his biggest regrets is he never got to tell Blaze that he loved her.

At the end of the day, he did go to the gravestone and confessed everything he hadn't told her in the past. That was it. He didn't go back and he closed himself off once again. No one was ever going to get close to him again. He swore it.

Time went on and things slowly fell into place. Shadow was back to his cold, distancing self. Even from his closest friends.

He continued to go on missions and accomplished them well. No more distractions, or people to keep him occupied. The dark hedgehog was determined to keep it that ways and the only person that could bring him back, was gone.

"Shadow, we have another mission. They rest of the team is in the briefing room." Rouge informed. Shadow only nodded in response, but before he could leave, Rouge stopped him. "Are you sure you're ok? I'm worried."