Chapter 40

Chapter 40 

-Turmoil Breads Clarity

James Monroe stares at the two copies of the Will of Enzo Santino laying in front of him it’s clearly evident that Enzo left Santino’s Restaurant and the land surrounding it to Kara Marina Santino.      

Finishing off his second drink he gets up to pour himself another.  Running his finger through his thick grey head of hair his anger boils he keeps allowing Amelia to make such a fool of him but no more?  He wasn’t surprised to hear from Maxim how much she has interfered in his relationship with Alexandra Hurst.   

She destroys everything she touches including him if he lets her.  Amelia knows too much about his business but he has reached his limit.  Whenever she gets home tonight he’s decided he’s going to end their marriage. 

Braylin holds the door open for Kara she brushes past him walking inside his apartment.  She sets her purse on the hall table he sets his keys and cell phone next to her purse.  

Following her into the living room his gaze softens as he watches her reach behind her to rub her tense shoulders.  He wants to massage her tight muscles away but he’s not sure she will welcome his touch.  They didn’t talk much on the ride home from Santino’s.  He drove the Audi S8 while she mostly stared out the window each of them wrapped up in their own thoughts. 

“You want me to cook dinner.”  Her voice is calm holding his gaze.   

“Not if you don’t want to.  We can go out or order in something.”  His eyes are full of warmth in spite of her cool demeanor.  His mind isn’t focused on eating dinner she never gave him an answer to his question after they got interrupted by Mica at the restaurant.    

Kara takes off her shoes then looks up to find Braylin’s piercing eyes on her.    “I’ll get changed and cook us something.”   She avoids looking directly at him hurrying up the stairs.  He walks half way up the stairs behind her while looking up at her walk down the hallway out of his sight. 

She stops at her old bedroom not the room they shared last night he hears the lock of the bedroom door click she’s shutting him out.  Feeling like their relationship has taken three steps back he climbs the rest of the stairs passing her door going into his own room to change. 

Braylin showers and takes his time putting on a pair of comfortable jeans and a t-shirt.  Grabbing a comb running it through his already drying hair he can hear a door open and close.  She’s going back downstairs to cook their dinner. 

Sitting on the bed with his comb dangling from his hand he tries to think what is it he has to do to get her to let go of the emotional chains that keep her attached to Amelia.  He has to tread softly they are still mother and daughter and despite Amelia's abandonment of her Kara continues to feel a maternal bond toward Amelia she won’t admit.  

Going back down the stairs he turns on some soft music before going into the kitchen where he finds her cutting some vegetables. 

“Need any help?”  Eying her ruefully he tries to formulate what else to say to her.

Unable to completely compose herself Kara tries not to meet his gaze head on afraid of getting lost in those sad mostly blue depths of his. She loves seeing him in his immaculate well fitted suits as well as dressed casually in his ass hugging jeans like he is now.  The way he treats her fills that ache that’s been in her heart for so long.  She feels a sense of guilt being happy with him while her mother does so much destruction.   If  only she had tried to find her mother years ago and dealt with her maybe Amelia wouldn’t be in her life now causing so much pain and destruction.