2.7

A/N: I decided to be nice. so enjoy two chapters in one day, and what happens in this chapter...
Luke's P.O.V.
I decided to go to Ashton's after school on Friday to say hi. Mr. Irwin opened the door. "Oh, Luke! It's nice to see you," he greets with a smile.
He invited me in. Ashton walked down the stairs, without a shirt on. "Oh, hi," he says, crossing his arms over his stomach.
Mr. Irwin walked into the kitchen, leaving me and Ashton alone. I smiled at him. "Why'd you leave the centre so fast?" I ask, walking towards him.
He invited me upstairs, which I complied to. We walked up to his room, which was cleaner than the last time I was here. He closed the door behind us. I sat on the foot of his bed while he sat at his desk.
"So?" I push on, excepting an answer to my question. He shrugged, giving me the 'I was tired' excuse. I just nodded, I wasn't in the mood to upset him.
"Why are you here?" He asks. He still doesn't have a damn shirt on.
"Oh, yeah," I say, standing. "I know you said we shouldn't do anything about us right now, but I miss you. A lot, and I-"
I cut myself off when he hid his face in his large hands. He was crying. Sobbing, actually. He stood up after a few seconds before hugging me. "It's gran," he sobbed out. "She's ill, really ill. They said she only has a few months, b-before.." I shushed him. He didn't have to say anymore.
"Sh, sh," I whispered, running my fingers through his curls.
"I-I missed you so much," he sobbed louder. I was crying now, too. I hated him like this. We sat down on his bed when he calmed down a bit.
"What does she have?" I whisper, praying not to set him off again.
He sighed, lifting his head from my shoulder. "Acute myeloid leukemia. It's a blood cancer," he whispers, wiping his tears away. "I just wasn't excepting this." He whispers.
I nod, grabbing his damp hand, letting both of ours to rest on my knee. "I'm sorry, Ashton. I hope she gets better."
He looks at me. "I miss you, too," he whispers, "a lot."
He let out a weak sigh at he sat up, looking at me. "I'm sorry, I'm just emotional right now." I shake my head, assuring him that I understood.
I hide his face in my neck after whispering a soft Thank you.
"Can I cheer you up?" I mumble, squeezing his hand. "How?" He looks up at me.
"Me, you. Tonight? Dinner?" I smile nervously. He nods quickly, a wide smile growing across his face.
"Pick me up at 7," he replies with a sly smirk. I nod quickly.
Please tell me I have him back.
-
I walked back to my house after that to get ready. I had 2 hours to get ready. 2 hours to look my best and plan.
I asked mum what were some good restaurants in town that were inexpensive. She told me one, but told me to use my credit card for it before making the reservations for me while I got dressed.
I threw on some black skinny jeans after stripping to my boxers. I looked through my closet for a shirt. I decided on my red button up flannel.
I fixed my hair in the mirror before pulling on a beanie. This was a fancy restaurant, and of course I'm going to dress like this.
I walk down the stairs to see if mom made the reservations to see Ben looking at an envelope. "Um," he starts. "It's for you." His face made me not want to look at it, but I took it from him. I was right.
James Hemmings was written on the top in print ink. I rolled my eyes before sitting beside Jack, who was on the couch.
"Why is he so obsessed with me?" I groan, pulling the envelope open with my finger. I skimmed over it before fully reading it out loud, mockingly.
"Luke,
I understand why we're not on best terms, but I'm going to Sydney the day after the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade in America. I was supposed to be there last week, but this was a last minute thing.
I want to see you, and see how you've grown. I've been worried about you these past 12 years, and I'm sorry. Just know I care about you, your mother, and your brothers."
"Then why'd he fuckin' leave, 'uh? We were his family for Christ's sake! Does he except us to take 'em back in, like nothin' happened?" Jack snorted. I shrugged.
I stayed quiet for a minute, before continuing. "It's time we both grow up, Luke. Things don't go as we plan, but maybe this would be a good decision.
Please do consider, and get back to me soon.
Hopefully I'll see you then," I rolled my eyes as I read the next words, "I love you,
James Hemmings."
"Fuckin' dickhead, I'll tell you that," Ben scoffs, sitting in the recliner.
"Quite an ass, I know," I sigh, folding the paper before setting it on the coffee table in front of me, causing Jack to move his feet.
"You gonna do it? See 'em?" He presses on, once his feet hit the ground. I could tell they've had a few drinks, but I just replied, "I'll get through tonight, and think about it tomorrow. I have to get Ashton back."
We went silent after that. Dammit, that man always knows how to ruin things.
I left to walk to Ashton's at 6:50, getting there at 6:58 before knocking on the door. Ashton opened the door, smiling. "Hi," he greets, stepping aside to let me in.
"So," he says, before chuckling. "Buddy, ole pal." I grinned at that last part, before letting out a laugh. "You're such a dork."
"Um, whose car?" He offers, walking towards the door. He was doing that just friends thing again. I shrug, offering us to go back to my house to get mine. We did.
The entire way I was staring at his appearance, which I always adored. He was wearing a red Nirvana shirt, black skinny jeans that were ripped at the knees, and his combat boots that I haven't seen in a while.
I wanted to hold his hand like always. I want to feel his cool fingers find their way between mine. I missed him, but I was happy again.
He climbed into the passenger's side once we got to my car. I pulled my keys out of my pocket before getting in myself and turning on the car.
-
We got there just in time for our reservation. The restaurant had stairs leading up to the hostess stand, which Ashton found funny. I told them my last name before they lead us to a table near the back. We sat on opposite sides of the table.
She told us our server's name before walking through the maze of table identical to ours. Ashton cleared his throat awkwardly.
"How have you been?" He asks shyly. I laughed at him.
"Dammit, love. Quit with the act," I tell him with a smirk. He gives me a confused look before I continue, "This is more than just two lads hangin' out." I comment, motioning towards the restaurant.
"Two best lads," he nods, and I swear I almost slapped him. I shake my head with a sigh, "I love you, Ashton." He flinches, as if I hurt him. Was he scared of me?
"Let's not talk about this now." He warns before drumming his fingers on the table. "'ight, you hear Calum got Niall's number? They're mates now," I try to change the subject. Ashton didn't care, obviously. So, I just sighed and gave up on talking.
I'm going to get him back.
We order our drinks and an appetiser before he finally talked again, "He really is?" He was almost in awe at something I said 10 minutes ago. I nod at him with a smile. "He called me in a panic."
Eventually our drinks came, with our appetiser. Ashton and I decided to share a spaghetti, ironically. I don't know why it's ironic. It just feels ironic. I don't know, I'll stop thinking now sorry.
We started talking again, about exams coming up, and Christmas. I told him about what was going on with my dad, which he just told me to think about on my own.
I understood why, but I was offended.
By the time our food got to us, we were talking about everything under the moon, except us. I wanted to bring it up, but I didn't, too scared of making this awkward.
Ashton barely ate, claiming he had a big lunch with his dad, since he had skipped school today. I didn't question it. Ashton was proud of himself for eating, he wouldn't stop.
After we got done, I gave the waiter my credit card to pay. "What're we doin' now?" He asks, tapping his fingers again.
"Whatever you wanna do," I reply with a smile. We agreed on going to the drive in movie he heard was happening downtown.
I signed the receipt, got my card, and we left. He went to a Facebook posts about it, telling me the place. Soon enough, we were greeted by at least thirty other cars, and people sitting and cuddling on their hoods.
"Looks like we found it," he commented as I parked the car. I nodded, looking at him with a smile. He laughed. "What?"
I shook my head for what felt like the twentieth time tonight. "I've missed you so much," I replied slowly, making him smile wider.
"I've missed you too, Lukey," he giggles out. God, I love him.
For probably the first part of the movie we sat on the hood and payed attention. We finally decided to get back in the car and talk. I missed this.
"It's funny how insane we were both going, even though it was only 3 weeks," Ashton comments with a laugh. I agree before replying, "True love, aye?" He laughs, "Shut up."
We sat in silence for a bit, listening to the radio before he pulled out his phone and hooked it up. He played FOUR on shuffle. He hasn't changed a bit.
I smirked at him cheekily during No Control, making him giggle before hiding his face. "Stoppp." I laughed at him, and for the first time tonight, I took his hands from his face before taking one in mine. He kissed my knuckles, before his face looked as if he just remembered something, and he blushed.
"You're so cute," I commented lowly, making him gingerly rest our hands on the median in between us. I smile at him when he looks at me, making him smile back.
"Ashton," I mumble, leaning closer slightly. "I know you wanted time, but will you give me a second chance?" He didn't reply at first, then as if we never broke up, his lips were against mine. Right after that 18 came on. Now, finally something I can say is ironic.
We didn't pull away after a few seconds. His hands were resting on my cheeks now, before he pulled away. He let out a laugh, "Can we please be cheesy and make this our song?"
So we did.