Ch. 2 - Soccer Practice and Surprises

Charlotte POV

It's 6:30am when I wake up, so I quickly get dressed and go make dads food. Once it's done, I leave it in his spot before going back upstairs to get Liv up and have her help me cover the bruises.

Once I make it to our room, I gently nudge her to get up and get ready. Once she's showered and dressed, I need her help applying makeup to my bruises.

"Hey Livie?" I ask, "what's up Charlie?" I point to my face before saying, "will you help me cover this?" She nods and we start covering them.

By the end of it, we covered them to the best of our abilities but you could still faintly see them. "If anyone says anything, I took a ball to the face while you and I were practicing." She looks at me sadly, "I know Char, it's the same excuse, no matters whose body the bruises are on."

Nodding, "come on Livie, we gotta go." We start to sneak out of the house but father is right around the corner. He pushes me out of the way before making his way to Liv.

*Trigger Warning*

"Oh, you think you can get out of a beating just because your sister made you go upstairs." SMACK SMACK SMACK.

Liv is smart enough to not cry, but doesn't mean I'm any less pissed. "Knock it off dad, if anyone deserves another beating it's me. I forced her upstairs!"

Father turns around quickly, "RUN LIV" I shout to her and she bolts out the door.

Father starts chuckling, "you really don't know when to shut the fuck up do you?" Without any notice he punches me in the nose and I think I hear it crack.

He's hungover, but he's getting careless with all of these face shots. People will get suspicious. Since he's hungover, I just make him lose his balance before running out the front door to catch up with Liv. I know I will definitely get it today.

*Trigger Warning Over*

Olivia POV

I hate when Charlotte tries to protect me, who knows how bad she's getting hit right now. I'm lost in my thoughts until I hear footsteps behind me.

When I turn around I see it's Charlie and she doesn't look good. Her face is all bloodied and there are new bruises. I hand her a Kleenex to help with the blood coming out of her nose. She'll have to wait till we get to school for me to cover her bruises and reset her nose.

We make it to school and quickly dip into one of the main bathrooms. "Shit Charlie this looks really bad." She nods her head before washing the blood off. Her nose stopped bleeding once I reset it, so now I just have to reapply all the makeup. She also helped me apply makeup because there's slight bruising where dad slapped me.

We make it through the whole day without anyone asking about the bruises which weren't 100% covered. I don't know if we are just that good at makeup or if no one truly cares. As long as no questions are asked then we are in the clear. It's pretty easy consider Charlie and I tend to stick together, we don't really have friends.

We have soccer practice right after school, so Charlie and I both slip into a stall to change. We don't change in front of the other girls because of the bruises.

As we get ready to leave the stall, I notice Charlie put on a short sleeve that doesn't cover her bruises. "Charlie!" She turns around quickly and I motion to her bruises. She mouths thank you before putting on a long sleeve.

I feel bad that she has to wear a long sleeve in this heat, but if we don't want to raise suspicion that's what we have to do.

We make our way out to the field and start our warmups. After we finish those, coach pulls us to the side and says we have some people coming to train with us today.