"Date a Girl Who..."

This is going to be smashing Tumblr again. We all know how much I hate Tumblr. God damn, I could make a whole book based on how much Tumblr fucking irritates me. It's also going to be about hipsters. Woo. It's like the WooWoo trifecta except there's only two things that irritate me instead of three. 

Anyway. I've been seeing this thing spread around recently, and it's bothering me. It's this picture that's a huge paragraph about how you should date girls who read because they're smart and sit in libraries and take the dusty books out and shit. 

What. The. Fuck. No. There's this idea going around now where girls who read all the time and wear glasses and wear sweaters in the summer are automatically better than any other girl. Basically, hipsters intellectual girls are better than any other type of girl because they read. 

Look, reading is great. It makes you think of stuff in different ways and shit. Hell, if people didn't read, I wouldn't have a chance at being an author in the future. I fucking love people who read. But people who read obsessively aren't any better than people who don't. 

I'm going to drop an insane piece of knowledge: I'm not single. I'm dating a girl right now. And guess what? When I fell in love with her it wasn't because she reads more than I do (even though she does, and it makes me feel dumb). I didn't ask if she's read Proust or Rand or Salinger or anything like that. I love her because of her, not because of what she reads. If she had never read a book in her life, that doesn't make her a bad person. I'd still love her as much as I do now because how many books you read or pieces of art you know about doesn't make you any more of a good person. It's cool that I can talk about Andy Warhol for sixteen hours straight and talk about how his life progressed his art became more death-obsessed because of his fear of death and all that stuff, but that doesn't make me a good person. 

If you date people just because they do a certain thing, you're not dating them for the right reasons. You should date someone because you love them for them, flaws and all. I'm not saying you have to think a person is perfect in order to date them. But you should be able to love them despite them never reading a book in their life or not knowing who Andy Warhol is. 

But don't get me wrong, sharing interests is amazing and great for a relationship. One of the reasons my girlfriend and I started talking so much was because we both adore Allen Ginsburg (EVEN THOUGH SHE LIKES ANOTHER POET MORE AND DOESN'T THINK HE'S THE BEST BUT WHATEVER SHE'S NOT WRONG EVEN THOUGH SHE TOTALLY IS GINSBURG FOR LIFE). But I didn't fall for her solely because she likes Allen Ginsburg. I fell for her because she has amazing boobs. 

Kidding. She's really nice and pretty and smart and etc.

My point is not that I have an awesome girlfriend. My point is that when I fell for her, I didn't fall for her because she reads, or likes art. I fell for her because she's one of the most perfect people I've ever met in my life, and she's one of my best friends in the world. That's why you fall in love. Not because a girl or guy reads. You fall in love with them because you want to spend every second of your day talking to them about anything at all.