Distrust

I shot up from the dream with mixed emotions of guilt and frustration. Breathing heavily, I clutched my chest and looked out toward the Maze. Looks like I had woken up just in time to see the Runners leave. No, wait.. Alby wasn't a Runner. Newt, Minho, and Alby stood by one of the doors. A bag was strapped to his back and Newt looked like he was sending them off. Alby and Minho ran into the Maze. I took off towards Newt as he walked back. He grinned as I ran forward.

"You're up early." He said continuing to walk past me but I was fixated on the Doors and the fact that Minho had run out there with Alby.

"Where are they going?" I questioned. Newt didn't answer. I ran after him and began walking in front of him my back to the Homestead. "Newt, come on. What's happening? Why would Alby go into the Maze?" I demanded. Newt arched an eyebrow at me as he turned me around to walk next to him.

"Nothing you need to worry about." He said slowly.

"Newt, what's going on. Tell me." He seemed to be fighting the urge to spill his guts.

"It's nothing. Don't ask me about it again." I stopped walking at his harsh tone.

"Is it because of the dead Griever?" Newt stiffened, turned around and gripped my arm with such force, it scared me.

"How do you know about that?" He growled in my face.

"Because I tried to kill it." I hissed. "It's not dead. Newt, please we have to go after them. They.." He began dragging me off. "Wait. What's wrong? Newt!" I demanded. The Cell he was taking me back to the cell.

"Why didn't you tell us?" He demanded continuing to drag me.

"I didn't think it mattered!" I exclaimed stumbling over a rock. "It wasn't dead, it was still moving when I left." I cried out.

"Well it's been out there two days Mallory. It's dead. Why would you try to kill one of those things and not tell us about it!" Newt demanded.

"It didn't matter! I hadn't killed it. Newt, please. I wasn't trying to hold back information. You can trust me." I begged trying to loosen his grip on my arm. Newt spun around and glared at me, making me stop abruptly.

"Trust you? You woke up in the maze, attempted to kill a Griever, you want to be a Runner, and I know you know Thomas." I swallowed hard under Newt's gaze. "I don't think we can trust you." He muttered starting to walk again, continuing to pull me toward the Cell. More of the Gladers were awake now, having heard the commotion.

"Newt please." I hissed. "Don't put me back in there." Newt glared at me and opened his mouth to speak when something happened that startled Newt and I enough to stop walking and for every head to turn. It was the sound of the Box coming up.

"What is happening?" Newt demanded, stepping closer to me as everyone was jolted awake. I kept my face an expressionless slate. At least I hoped I did. "Fine." He muttered. "John, Matt!" He shouted. Two big, burly guys stepped forward. "Take her to the Cell. Chuck! Bring her food." Newt ordered handing me off to the two boys. Chuck and Thomas stepped forward, confused as they watched John and Matt drag me away.

"Newt, what are you doing?" I heard Thomas ask.

"That shank is going to the Cell." Newt muttered.

"Newt!" I shouted trying to get his attention. He stiffened but didn't turn around as I spoke. "I swear, Newt! Don't do this!" I shouted.

I growled at the ground, kicking up dust as I paced the Cell. Newt just had to listen to me, they just needed to understand I wasn't here to hurt them, I was here to help them. The alarms were still blaring, which meant the Box was still on its way up but it had to be close now. Not much longer. As if on cue the warning sirens stopped. I perked up and ran to the Cell door. All the Gladers were already gathered around the Box. I assumed Newt was somewhere in front because I couldn't see him over the heads of the boys. Actually, I couldn't see much from my vantage point or hear anything for that matter.