Race to the Finish

"Chuck what's happening?" I whispered to him harshly. I had no idea what was going on. I had never seen this before. What were the Gladers doing? Why were they gathering around the doors? They were about to close. A sinking feeling settled in the pit of my stomach. No, they couldn't. They wouldn't.

"Nothing good." Chuck murmured. Why hadn't I seen this before? Were they banishing Ben? Sending him into the Maze. I monitored them, not as often as Theresa and Thomas but I did monitor them. Maybe this doesn't happen often, but wouldn't I have at least heard about it? Not that anyone ever told me anything back in W.I.C.K.E.D. I could hear Thomas freaking out on the other side of Chuck.

"What's going on? What are they doing?" Chuck didn't reply at first. With a solemn expression he finally said,

"Just watch." And watch we did. Minho arrived not long after and someone handed him a spear. Ben was in the center of this small circle of Gladers crying out about how he would behave and how he wouldn't attack anyone else.

"It was the Griever Sting! It makes you insane!" Ben screamed, but no one seemed to be listening to him. "Alby, Alby please! I won't hurt anyone I swear!" He shouted pleading with his friend, but Alby was cold and unmoving. Newt held a solemn expression as he yanked Ben forward, closer to the doors.

"Listen up everyone! This shank here is going to be an example for you all. We don't attack other Gladers." Alby was pointedly staring at me. "And we certainly don't attempt to kill them. This is what happens if you do." As if on cue the doors rumbled and began to close. Ben was frantic now as Newt shoved him forward.

"Please! Newt! Alby!" Newt continued to move Ben towards the doors. "Minho!" Ben shouted finding him among the boys keeping him at bay. I watched Minho visible stiffen but not move from his position. Cutting Ben loose from his restraints Newt stepped back slowly, as if waiting for him to make a run for it.

"Close in!" Alby shouted. Poles and spears were lowered, centered around Ben. The Keepers and a few other boys were pushing Ben into the Maze. Ben continued to plead and scream at us, but the doors would close soon and if Ben wasn't on the other side he would be squished to death. His tortured screams were cut off by the doors slamming shut. Everyone was silent. I felt sick to my stomach. Why wasn't anyone saying anything. They just condemned someone to death.

"Would he survive?" I whispered to Chuck. He jumped slightly at the sound of my voice.

"No, what you did was the impossible."

"Let that be a lesson!" Alby shouted. Everyone looked so solemn I wondered if a little part with them had gone with Ben into that Maze. People began dispersing after that but Minho stepped forward.

"Hold on ya shanks!" He called out. Stepping forward to Newt and Alby at the front of the crowd. "One of you shuck faces made a bet with me." Minho looked right at me as he said this.

"Minho.." Newt said shaking his head. This wasn't the time, or the place.

"Just hear me out. Malls, or newest Glader made a bet with me that she could beat me in a race." Minho smiled and Newt found me in the crowd immediately, a frown on his face. "Now normally I would beat any shank into the ground for even thinking they could beat me but.." Minho had everyone's attention now. "She wagered that if I beat her, girly over there would kiss me." Cat-calls and whistles resounded throughout the Glade. I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms. "And if Malls should win, I have to consider her as a Runner, seeing as we have an opening.." He muttered out the last part.

"Minho!" Alby said sharply.

"Shuck it Alby. I'm not going to let a newbie beat me in a race. I'm going to win." Minho said turning to him. "There is nobody faster than me."