Runaway

It took maybe ten to fifteen minutes to get Alby off the wall and onto a stretcher. As we walked over, to the Homestead, Clint and I looked him over. He didn't seem to be hurt, other than the punctures from the Griever. Clint said we wouldn't be able to get a god look at him until we see inside the Homestead though.

"You'll get to watch me administer the Grief Serum. It's pretty easy but you need a steady hand." Clint smiled widely and I smiled with him. I already knew how to administer the Grief Serum "Where'd you put Minho and Thomas?" Clint asked as I helped them maneuver Alby through the Homestead and up the stairs.

"Just across the way from.." I paused. "The girl." I licked my lips pretending to be thinking so my momentary pause didn't seem out of place. "We're not going to put him in the same room as them are we? They need to rest for a while." We stopped moving up the stairs.

"You're right. Let's head back down guys, make Alby comfortable somewhere downstairs." He ordered. Nobody complained as we had onto carried him up a few steps. We walked past several Gladers and stepped into a separate, empty room. We placed the stretched down and Clint sent someone up for a cot and some blankets. "Let me show you the Grief Serum." He said motioning for me to follow him.

I followed him back into the larger room where he walked over to a crudely made trunk and opened it, pulling out one of the several small boxes. He popped the catch and turned it around to show me. The plunger and the blue liquid in a cylinder vial was all very familiar too me. I picked them up gingerly. Clint was smiling at me, excited. His black hair nearly falling into his eyes. "Cool right? It comes up with all the other stuff in the box. Took us a while to figure out what it did."

"Does it work like.." I began slowly, turning the cylinder of liquid around in my palm and fitting it into the syringe. It popped in with a satisfying click and Clint smiled broadly.

"Yeah! There you go. Come on, watch me inject Alby with it. Next time someone needs the Serum, I'll let you handle it. Not that, I'm hoping someone else will get stung that is." I smiled as we walked back into Alby's room. They were already tying him to the bed. I pursed my lips. "Now because his skin is darker, finding a vein might be a bit harder." Clint murmured as the guys left

"You could just restrict the flow of blood in his arm, make the veins pop out." I suggested as Clint poked Alby's restrained arm. He grinned at me.

"Yeah, we do that. Come help me." He said enthusiastically. Clint wanted me to restrain Alby like I had done for Ben. He didn't want Alby running around attacking people too. He was bigger than Ben and could do a bit more damage. While I did that, Clint tied a strip of cloth around Alby's upper arm and waited.

It didn't take long for the veins to appear and Clint carefully, nearly expertly gave Alby the shot of Grief Serum. I cringed, waiting for something to start happening. For Alby to scream and wake up in a terror.

"Oh don't worry. Takes a while to work. I think it has to make its way through the bloodstream." Clint said with a shrug, waving around the empty syringe. I had forgotten. This Grief Serum was a lot slower than we used back in W.I.C.K.E.D.

"How long then?" I questioned. Clint shrugged.

"It's different for everyone. You should go check on Jeff though. Relieve him of his duty. I'll stay with Alby and then we can trade off in a bit." I nodded my head slowly and followed his instructions heading up the stairs to Teresa. Jeff was still in the same spot only this time he wasn't trying to feed her.

I told him he could go take a rest or a break and that I would watch over Teresa. Jeff looked relieved and I informed him that Clint was with Alby. He nodded and headed off, leaving me alone with Teresa.