The End of Times

"You know, there's a part I forgot to mention." Thomas said as we sat around eating our last meal that Frypan had whipped up for us.

"Shuck what the hell did you forget to tell us?" Minho demanded, dropping his fork. I rolled my eyes at his dramatics. Thomas smiled a little.

"Nothing big it's just our names.. They're not real." Thomas shrugged.

"What do you mean by that?" Newt asked.

"Thomas as in Thomas Edison.. Newt is Isaac Newton. Alby is Albert Einstein. They're just nicknames they gave us of famous people. Those aren't our actual names.." He stopped. "I don't know what my real name is. I know I had one and that it wasn't Thomas but.." He shrugged.

"Well what about the rest of us?" Chuck asked excitedly.

"I don't know. Those are the only obvious ones I have." Thomas replied with a sympathetic look.

"What about Darwin. Chuck and Charles, that's sort of close. Teresa could be Mother Teresa.." I pretended to wrack my brain for my name, even though I already knew who it was for. "Malls.. Mallory.. There was a guy named George Mallory who climbed Mount Everest. All prospective though."

"Okay, what the hell is mine then? Minho what the hell does that even mean and Frypan? Was he just named after an actual frypan?" We started laughing, it was a good stress reliever.

--

"Is everyone ready?" I asked Newt walking up behind him. He jumped at the sound of my voice. "Are you ready? You seem a little.. On edge."

"Aren't you?" He asked, turning around and slinging his pack over his shoulder.

"Yeah but I'm trying not to show it. If we're scared, everyone will be scared." Newt breathed out slowly and nodded.

"You're right. Set an example." Newt clipped Thomas shoulder. "Are we done here?" Thomas straightened up.

"I don't know.. Shouldn't someone give like a pep talk or something?" Teresa shook her head at Thomas. I smiled a little, glad that he wanted to cheer the Gladers up in some way.

"Gladly." Minho murmured before getting everyone's attention. "We're about to head into the Maze you shanks! A few words of advice." He paused, making sure everyone was listening. "Keep running, be careful, don't die." There was a low murmur through the crowd and I covered my hand with my mouth to stifle my laughter.

"Great pep talk." Newt said shaking his head at his friend. Minho smiled a little as we all moved towards the doors. Teresa, Newt, Thomas, Minho and I all paused at the threshold. "We're coming for you Creators." Newt said harshly before running into the Maze, his limp wasn't even noticeable. I smiled and ran after him. Soon, the pounding of feet could be heard behind me. This was it, we were finally going to go up against them and we were going to win because I was going to disable the Grievers.

--

The run through the Maze was a mostly silent affair. Aside from the labored breathing and heavy footsteps, the Maze was quiet. It worried me. In fact, the first words spoken in an hour was from me. "Can you hear that?" We were nearing the Cliff, it was maybe five corridors down but I could already hear the Grievers. It made me antsy.

"Hear what?" Minho asked next to me.

"The Grievers." I shuddered. It wasn't until we were right around the corner from the Cliff that people began hearing them and becoming nervous.

"How'd you hear them from so far back?" Newt asked peeking around the corner.

"I don't know." I shuddered again. Minho put his hand on my shoulder. "Ever since Thomas told me I made those things.. It's just creeped me out. I thought I was hearing things." I paused. "How many are there?"