Voices

Just as we finished up the meeting, Jeff came running into the room a bit breathless. "Jeff? What's up?" Clint asked, standing.

"Alby, he's up and he uh.." He paused and glanced nervously around the room. His eyes settled on Thomas and I for more than half a second.

"Well spit it out. What does he want?" Newt demanded.

"He wants to talk to somebody." Newt moved towards Jeff but Jeff shook his head. "Not.. Not you. He wants to see either Thomas.. Or Mallory."

"Why?" I questioned. "You're a Medjack too he.."

"He doesn't want to talk to you because you're a Medjack." Jeff interrupted. Panic bloomed inside my stomach.

"Because I'm a girl then?" I asked. Jeff shrugged. I glanced over at Thomas and then at Newt. He had his hands clenched into fists.

"Well we bloody better go then." Newt said glancing back at me and then motioning for Thomas to follow him. I moved slowly towards the two boys. What could Alby possibly have to say to me? I didn't know him personally during the training before the Glade and the Maze. He was background information. I was background information to him. Maybe he just remembered something specific about me.

The walk to the Homestead was a quiet one. Newt had said he wouldn't let us go in there alone. He was going to hear whatever Alby had to say to us. We entered the Homestead and walked up the stairs to Alby's room. When we got there though, Alby immediately began screaming at Newt to get out of the room.

"No way, whatever you have to tell this Greenie, you can tell me." Newt said fiercely.

"GET OUT. GET OUT." Alby screamed. Newt walked out but Alby made him close the door. Thomas and I worriedly turned to face the once strong leader of the Glade. He wasn't tied to the bed anymore which might have been a bad thing but I wasn't about to get any closer to him than I already was. I was really afraid about what he might say. "I know who you are." Alby hissed. There it was.

"Who we are?" I murmured.

"I know who you are." Alby repeated. Glaring at Thomas before training his eyes on me. "You're the worst of the three."

"Three?" Thomas questioned.

"You, Mallory, that other girl." Teresa. "It's your fault. All your fault." Alby murmured. Thomas swallowed hard next to me. "I remember our life before this." He murmured before scoffing. "Well, you can't call it much of a life. The Flare." He remembers the Flare.

"The Flare?" Thomas murmured.

"Alby, you're not making sense." I told him, trying to contribute to the conversation and pretend like I was just as confused as Thomas was.

"You.." But Alby was cut off by his own hands, choking him. W.I.C.K.E.D. They were interfering.

"NEWT!" I screamed, running to Alby as I tried to pry his hands away from his neck. The door was flung open and newt rushed in screaming at Thomas to hold Alby's legs down. It took a minute or two of shouting and struggling to finally get Alby to stop choking the life out of himself.

"I'm sorry." Alby murmured, slumping back onto the bed almost sleepily. "I can't control my body." He yawned. Newt looked back and forth between Thomas and I like we had caused this.

"You were trying to kill yourself." Newt stated.

"It wasn't me." Alby said slowly. His eyes were already closed. I glanced up at Newt and tried to look as confused as Thomas. Newt motioned for Thomas and I to follow him out of the room and as we were about to leave Alby said, "Watch out for that other girl and Newt." Newt looked back at his friend. "Protect the maps."