A Gathering

"Mallory!" Someone shouted down at me. I was so startled I jumped up, spun them around and pinned them to the wall of the Cell in a matter of seconds. I was still half asleep so once I finally cleared my head, I realized it was Newt. "If you wanted to pin me against a wall, you could've just asked." I dropped his arms and didn't reply. Newt turned to look at me curiously.

"Pick that up from Minho?" I asked. Newt furrowed his eyebrows.

"What makes you think I might pick that up from Minho?" He questioned.

"Sounds like something he might say." I replied immediately. I keep forgetting I'm not supposed to know them. Newt eyed me cautiously before speaking again.

"We've called a Gathering, come on." He said gesturing for the door. I saw him place his hand on his hip where a knife was stashed. Either he was scared I would hurt him or he was showing me he had one in case I tried to run. I was hoping for the latter.

"A Gathering." I repeated following him. Newt shut the door behind me.

"A meeting for all the Keepers." He replied.

"Keepers?" I questioned.

"Right, you're a buggin' Newbie." He said to himself. He glanced up at me as if expecting me to assault him. "So you'll attack Gally but not me?" He questioned.

"I was trying to make a point." Newt smirked as he walked me over to the Homestead. If I had to give these boys one thing it was their craftsmanship. Having only pictures in their mind of what a house might look and never seeing one in person themselves they did a pretty good job at building a two story building. Sure it was crude, and rough around the edges but watching them build it was one of the most fascinating things I'd ever seen.

"Build it yourselves?" I asked pointing up at it, remembering it shouldn't look familiar. Newt shrugged.

"Had too." He seemed to be apologizing.

"Did a pretty good job." Newt smiled as he opened up the front door. There were some boys around, they all seemed to be working on something.

"Go back to work shanks." Newt said closing the door behind us. "This way." He said heading off in a different section of the House, weaving through the boys. I pursed my lips, following him. Newt took me to a large room where eleven seats had been placed around a table. All the Keepers stood or sat in attendance with Alby at the head looking angrier than usual.

"We having a party?" I questioned following Newt who offered me, I'm assuming, his chair next to Minho before grabbing another one from nearby and sitting between Alby and I. I didn't want to be near him anyways.

"Okay girly, talk." Alby commanded, not that I was about to listen. Everyone had sat down by then and they were all staring at me.

"Why don't you? I was out there in that Maze for nearly a day and a half. How come I didn't run into anyone?" I demanded.

"How come you aren't dead?" Minho replied harshly. They all waited for my reply.

"Maybe because I'm not a stupid boy." Some of them scoffed but no one tried to throw a comeback at me.

"Why are you here?" Alby demanded.

"Why are you?" I fired back. It remained silent. I realized we weren't getting anywhere. I had to say something else. "Look, all I know is I wake up out there," I say pointing out in the direction of the maze. "And there are these rubbery disgusting creatures chasing me."

"What happened to your arm?" I think it was Clint who spoke up, Keeper of the Med Jacks. I looked down at it now. I hadn't realized it but there were dark trails of blood all down along it and the part of my shirt I had ripped up to tie off the wound was darkened by old blood.