Just Another Day

"Whoa." Thomas murmured. Teresa was already grabbing more wax paper and maps.

"Back to work shanks. It could just be a coincidence." Everyone shoulders slumped and I tried to match their doubt. It wasn't a coincidence. It was a pattern. "Trace more maps." Teresa continued, taking the letter from Thomas and setting it down. And so, we traced more maze maps and as we did, a letter was formed each time.

"Float." Newt said suddenly.

"What?" Thomas questioned.

"It's a word. Float." Newt put the traced letters in the order they appeared and I smiled.

"Doesn't sound like some shucking rescue code." Minho muttered. I rolled my eyes at him and continued to trace.

"Catch." I exclaimed triumphantly. "That's the second word." I said, placing the H down at the end of the word.

"Okay, Float, Catch. What does it mean?"

"It means Thomas and I have to go." Minho said, standing.

"What?" Teresa demanded. Thomas looked just as confused.

"We have to go run the Maze."

"Minho! This is way more important." Thomas exclaimed gesturing to the us and the maps. Minho rolled his eyes.

"Are you shucking kidding me Tommy? You're the one whose always buggin everyone about staying overnight in the Maze and now we can. Without those shuck doors closing or the maze moving, you might have even been right about something opening up. Today, tonight, it's important for us to go out there and have a look around."

"But... The code." Thomas looked torn.

"Minho's right Thomas, you and the other runners have to go have look around. Maybe somethings changed. We'll stay, I'll round up some other people we trust and we'll trace letters." Thomas looked back and forth between Teresa and I and nodded.

"Come on, let's go." Minho said, hitting Thomas arm.

"I'll go with you. Who do you want me to get to help us?" I asked Newt glancing back at him. He licked his lisp and thought for a little bit.

"The Keepers maybe but only.. Clint, Winston, Frypan.." He paused. "I'll think of more when you come back with them. I nodded, smiling and we left the weapons room together.

--

"Are you mental?" I hissed hitting Minho's arm. Minho looked at me like I was crazy as he strapped his gloves on and flexed his fingers.

"No. God, Malls give it a rest." He grumbled.

"You could die out here."

"You could die in here Mallory, the doors aren't closing remember." I pursed my lips and said nothing. Thomas was a little ways off, getting ready as well and kept glancing over at us nervously. I sighed.

"It just seems like you're closer to the Grievers out there." Minho stared at me, shaking his head.

"Believe me, I wouldn't be going if I didn't think it was important." He murmured. "And shouldn't you be doing something right now?" I rolled my eyes at him and opened my arms. Minho hesitated before allowing me to hug him. He wrapped his arms around my waist tightly.