Meet Our Makers

"He's awake! He's awake!" Chuck exclaimed bursting through the map room where Newt, Minho, Alby and I had been situated. We had been talking about food rationing and how we were gonna have to cut back on our consumption when Chuck burst in, we didn't have to ask him who was awake. We already knew. Thomas.

"Tommy, this better be good." Nest said as we entered the room.

"We need to call a Gathering." Thomas said standing slowly.

"Damn right we have to. What the hell were you thinking, jumping the Griever like that?" Minho demanded. Thomas shook his head and rubbed his temple a little.

"I needed my memories back."

"Well, how much do you have?" I questioned. Thomas looked over at me sadly.

"It's bad Mallory." He said softly.

"How bad." I glanced over at Teresa who looked just as solemn as Thomas. He must have told her something in the time it took Chuck to run downstairs to get us and for us to come back up the stairs. What did Thomas know? How bad was it? We had done a lot of really shitty things but which ones did he remember?

"We need a Gathering." Thomas repeated.

--

I was surprised they actually let Teresa and I attend. I was sure that we would have to put up more of a fight. But once I told them that they weren't excluding Teresa and I, they didn't argue. "Weird." Teresa whispered to me. I nodded my head as they brought in more chairs for us,

"They probably know we would have won the argument. Or maybe they're just tired of fighting with us." Teresa smiled lightly as we sat down in our seats. Thomas had been quiet this entire time. He had just been staring at the table, at his hands. We were waiting for him to say something.

"Thomas, give us something. Anything." Minho said, breaking the silence. Ghosts stood snd sighed, running a hand through his hair and scratching his neck.

"Okay, I don't have a lot and what I do remember.. It's weird. Maybe you guys can help me." He said gesturing to Teresa and I. "Maybe by hearing me talk about this, it'll trigger something in your guys minds."

"Why just them?" Alby asked. Thomas smiled a bit warily.

"Teresa, Mallory and I we we friends. We've known each other since we were kids." Everyone was silent. "Actually.. If I remember correctly, you and Teresa don't usually get along." I glanced over at Teresa who in turn stared back at me. She doesn't remember the resentment I had for her, all the anger I saved just for her but I did.

"I don't remember." Teresa said slowly.

"It's in the past anyways." I shrugged and we turned back to Thomas.

"Get to the important stuff. Is there an exit in the Maze?" Minho demanded.

"Yes.." He paused. "But it's the Griever Hole." Their were low murmurs in the room and I remembered how not everybody knew about the Griever Hole. After a brief explanation from Newt, Thomas continued.

"All of this guys, it's some sort of test. Like an endurance one or agility. Life and death."

"A test?" Clint demanded. "Like we're part of some shucking experiment?"