Chapter 30

Not edited.

*****

Abby sat at the kitchen window looking out at the world outside with a mug of coffee in her hand. Each person she saw in the street had a story of their own. Were any of them in a situation like hers? How many had multiple lovers? Did they live a complete and fulfilled existence or were they pretending to the outside world? Were they playing the roles that society places on all the people who dare to have a mind of their own? Could she actually go through, well, however long, with the guys knowing what people would say when they saw them together? Would they have to pretend? How did the guys do things now? While they didn't seem overly affectionate in the touchy touch kind of way there was no doubt when they looked at one another that they were more than just friends... how did they cope with that? Shaking her head she realised how confusing this world actually is. Her main worry was how she would be perceived as a whore, a slut; a dog. Not knowing if she had the strength to actually go through with how they would be compared to how society would see them was heartbreaking. Could this be love? She could use the words and say it was, even fool herself into believing it but would she fight for those feelings if the need arose? Was this real?

For a short time she was alone. The guys had decided to go and organise her return home before she had a chance to delay anything. It was probably just as well the business hadn't sold; she at least had an income coming in.

She thought about the talk they'd had, the second one where Noah told her she was going home, and while she could understand the distance being a problem, across the country tough, she had to admit that being in close proximity was going to be even tougher. Just like the decision about going home was taken out of her hands so was the decision of giving up her job here. She was scared of losing the walls she'd built up around herself. Would she be strong enough to have her say with them about anything at all?

Last night she felt like she had no choice bit to comply with the way they wanted things done. She'd been so damn hurt and angry at them for keeping such a huge secret from her that she was ready to go holy hell on all of them before even that was taken from her.

What was it about these guys that had her allowing them to dominate her every behaviour? She'd worked a damn long time to become the strong independent woman she'd become and in walk three god like men and she fell into a daze and followed their lead like a damn little puppy. Why was she one thing when she was working and another at home? Yes, they were all strong minded men but did that mean they saw her as a pushover? Quickly she pushed that thought aside as she recalled the 'round table' discussions. Her voice was heard, her opinions told, but her anger was never allowed to come out. That may be the scariest part of all; would she be one of those people who held things in until they exploded? Most probably.

Sighing she moved away from the window to place her mug in the sink. Looking around she wondered where the hell they'd even start to pack up her life here. This place had become her hidden sanctuary from the world. A place of tranquility.

She walked into the loungeroom with the cogs of her mind clunking an almost impossible tune. So many things going around that none fell to the back of the line to show a clear path. Knowing how much she missed them all she accepted the one thing that would make it 'do or die'... whatever happened in the future she would, for all their sakes, try.

Choosing to sit for a moment her silence was broken by the lucid tones of Cher singing Turn Back Time. Without looking to see who it was she answered her phone.

"Abby Crayson."

"Well well Miss Crayson. You're  almost a difficult woman to find."

That voice. Familiar yet not in a good way.