Chapter 23

Not edited.

She found herself pinned against the cupboard as a mouth started to assault the back of her neck causing her to whimper. Arms surrounded her to hold her close while her head dropped back exposing her neck completely while he chuckled.

"Caleb" she groaned "we need to talk."

"You're sexy as fuck when you're angry princess. Just makes a guy want to be pounding deep inside you."

Where the moans came from is anyone's guess but there were four of them inside that room.

"Ok. Enough. No more." James started pulling Calebs arms from around her ignoring his protests.

"The lady wants to talk so let's talk." Noah crossed to her and kissed her on the forehead before seating her at the table beside Caleb before seating himself beside James on the other side of the table.

"Ok. We have two rules for this conversation. One you already know, always tell the truth and the other is that we decide on decisions together by talking and not yelling. Anger's fine but it gets in the way of moving on."

Round table discussions. A phrase that came from history and one that had Abby smiling to herself.

"You're smiling." James pointed out while hoping this time she'd explain!

"Have you ever thought of round table discussions? This just reminded me of them." She said as her smile became wider making the guys chuckle.

"I can see the similarities" Caleb agreed with silence falling over them. None of them having any idea of the best way to start the conversation they needed to have.

Abby broke through the quiet "Guys, help me understand. I don't want to be afraid."

James and Caleb looked at Noah and both nodded.

"Love, we're really not sure where exactly to start. We've kept things to ourselves for so long we don't even talk to each other about it. As James told you, Frederick is his stepbrother. He made James' life hell. He abused him on every level." He paused for a moment to let those words sink in. "When I met James in highschool he was quiet, introverted and a complete mess both physically and emotionally. It took time but I wasn't giving up..."

"You just thought I was cute" James piped in with a grin on his face.

"Yes James, I thought you were cute but I also knew you needed help. I just didn't know how much or how I was going to do it. All I could do was be a friend and hope that you'd open up but you didn't. Then one day I was sick and my mum kept me home from school and you" he paused and took a breath "you were beaten and...raped... by two of the seniors and they left you..." Noah couldn't help it as he choked, James got up and held him from behind as Abby reached for Calebs hand to have him pull her up and over to sit on his lap as he held her tight as he took over talking.

"I found him. I thought... I thought he was dead."

"I woke up in hospital with both of these guys in the room. I was released three weeks later and went to stay at Noahs."

"As it turned out the gossip soon got around school that Frederick had paid the guys to... do what they did because school was the only place he couldn't get to him. I was fuming and confronted him. Bastard laughed and admitted everything." He reached up and touched James face. "He told me what he'd been doing to James and what he planned to do in the future. He's a seriously sick fuck. I beat the crap out of him and if it wasn't for Caleb I would have killed him. That was when I realised how much I was in love with James and I spoke to my parents about some of it and they agreed that James couldn't go back to their house. So he moved in."

"Yeh and you perved every chance you got" James teased making Noah blush.

"Oh My God!" Abby squealed "Noah's blushing!"

Noah tried to look stern as he wagged his finger at her "be careful young lady."

She curled back into Caleb not noticing the flash of hurt that crossed his eyes as he swallowed and kept talking.

"Caleb started coming over... Alot... and eventually he started talking with my mum. Then one day she announced that he was moving in. It was a surprise to all of us bit we kinda figured it was Mum and she obviously had her reasons."

"It was what I told her that day."

Abby looked up and quietly asked "What did you tell her?"

The room went quiet. This was Calebs story and it was one he'd only ever spoken of twice. "My parents weren't the greatest" Abby cuddled into him as his arms held her closer as if needing the strength to say what he was about to say next. "They were into alot of illegal stuff. From as far back as I can remember they were always either drunk, stoned or both. I was beaten up a lot but when I turned six they had no money for their habit so I became the bargaining tool they used. I was raped at least once a week so they had their supplies."

The room was silent. Words were not enough to express the love that was needed in that moment. Caleb felt the moisture as it seeped across his chest. Gently he raised Abby's face and wiped her tears "Don't cry for me Princess."

"I'm not" she sniffled "I'm crying for that little boy who grew up without love."

Caleb bent his head and softly kissed her mouth "I have it now."

Noah cleared his throat and continued "Caleb came to live with us and eventually one thing led to another and..." he gave a cheeky smile.

"We became fraternity brothers." James said with a grin.

Abby started laughing and they all looked at her strangely. Was this going to be one of those laughing times? She shook her head.

"Oh come on guys. Fraternity brothers? Seriously? We live in Australia. We don't have fraternities."

"Sounds better than fuck buddies" Noah replied.

"But you're more than that Noah. Lovers, brothers.. what ever you want to call yourselves...you're a family" Abby argued.

"WE'RE a family baby. You're a part of this crazy mess as much as we are." James was purposely including her.

Abby sadly shook her head "You have each other."

Noah let go of James with a sigh and came to kneel beside her and Caleb "Love I fucked up. Badly. I snapped and yes it was because of you being near Frederick. It wasn't until Caleb brought me the note that I realised how much I fucked up with you. You trusted me to protect you. Nothing I can say will ever take away the memory of what you saw that night. Nothing will make me forget it either. I hurt the three people I love more than anything in this world. I was the one who let him back in. I let him govern my actions. I let my hatred for him take over. It wasn't you Abby. It was never you." he took her hand in his own and slowly traced along the lines of her palm "We want to go to counselling. It's time we learnt to put this behind us, together, as a family. That means you too Abby. We don't want you to be afraid of any of us. We need to do this. We want you to understand us and we want to understand you too. It kills us to hear that you think you aren't good enough because you are. You're an amazing woman and we're proud to have you with us but we need to understand why you think you don't belong there. As far as we're concerned Abby, you're ours. Let us in. Let us love you like we want to, like we should have done in the beginning. Let's start our family over. Together."

Dry eyes were non existant as the silence fell over the room. They waited. There was no way in hell they'd give up without a fight but if she wanted time they'd have to give it to her.

This was her choice. Did she want it? Was she willing to walk away or would she stay? After the past three months of trying to move on the answer was simple.

"Yes." Her answer was met with smiles.

"Can we have sex now? Pleeeeease???" James whined as he came around the table and taking her face into his hands he used his best darth vader voice to say "Abigal... I am your lover."