Chapter 18

Not edited.

"Are you ok?" Caleb asked James.

"Yep. Let's do this."

They stood outside the little cafe looking at the door. Caleb squeezed James' shoulder in encouragement and support. James hadn't seen Noah in over two weeks though Caleb saw him regularly. Exhaling he stepped towards the door... and stopped.

"What if... what if I can't?"

"Then we walk away until you can."

James nodded slowly and as he held his breath he opened the door and stepped inside. He could feel Caleb's hand on his back as he scanned the room and stopped. There he was. Sitting at a table at the far side of the room. James couldn't believe how tired he looked as he stared down at the cup he held in his hands. The brightness he'd come to adore was dim. He looked like he hadn't slept... when was the last time he shaved? 

Shoving his hands inside his pockets James made his way across the room. Aware that Caleb was with him helped alot. He was anxious and extremely nervous.

Noah looked up as he heard them approaching. His eyes met with James' and he stood; waiting. James stopped. The pair looked at one another for a moment before James spoke "You look like shit."

Noah chuckled "Yeh I do." He looked at James up and down "How... Are you..."

"I've healed physically."

"I'm so sorry." Noah started crying.

In two steps James had his arms wrapped around him and felt the hesitation from Noah to return the hug and lent back to look him in the face.

"Noah Winter you better damn well put your arms around me before I stamp on your foot!"

Noahs arms went around him and they buried their heads into each others shoulders "You always were the drama queen."

"Yep. But I'm your drama queen."

"I love you James." Noah choked "I'm so sorry, so sorry." He sobbed into James' shoulder.  "I snapped. I thought of him and I snapped. It's no excuse to do that to you though. I hurt you James and I swore I never would... not after..."

"sssshhhh... We have to deal with this together. We need to do this therapy thing finally. And you need to shave!" Noah and Caleb chuckled.

"And we need to get our girl back." Caleb spoke from behind James and they turned to look at him.

James said with a grin "you bet your arse we do."

They all chuckled and finally decided to sit down, placed orders for coffees and talked. Talked in a way they never talked before.  Knowing they had a long way to go before the past stayed where it should be and the future fulfilled dreams they'd all dreamt of. While back together as a trio they knew they weren't complete. The final quarter of their life was missing and they had no idea how to find her. She'd vanished.

"Evening Miss Crayson."

"Hey Sam. How many times do I have to tell you my name is Abby?"

The young security guard dropped his head and blushed "aww Miss... Abby, it just feels weird is all. No one else asked me to use their first names."

"Well Sam, I'm not a snob. I'm me."

"I like you Mis.. Abby. Um... would you like to go out for a drink sometime?"

"Sam, I've been through..."

"As friends Abby. I'm not asking for anything you don't want to give. I'm happy to be friends."

"Just friends?"

"Yep. Just friends."

Abby smiled at him "In that case I'd love to. I have to get upstairs for a phone call but how about we work it out tomorrow when I get home from work?"

Sam smiled widely "Yes Ma'am!"

Walking away she was pretty sure she saw the shadow of Sam jumping and doing a fist pump. She smiled as a tear slid down her face. It wasn't fair to Sam to use him but she needed to move on and if friendship became something else one day; then so be it.

Her phone was ringing when she entered her fourth floor apartment. Dropping her handbag by the door she rushed over to the lounge.

"Hey Melissa!"

"Hey girl. You're running late. This is the third time I called."

"Sorry. I was running late from work and stopped for a few minutes to talk with Sam."

Melissa was quiet for a moment "Who's Sam?"

Abby bent down and started to remove her shoes "He's one of the secutity guys here."

"Oh then he's nothing special then"

"He's a... friend"

"Just a friend?" Melissa's tone was one of teasing.

"Yep but we are going to go out for a drink sometime."

"Are you sure you're just friends?"

"Just friends Melissa. Boy if the questions are this bad with you then I don't ever plan on telling Lucy anything about him!"

"If you're just friends then there's nothing to say... is there?"

"Melissa! Enough of the questions. Tell me, how are things looking for a sale?"

"Not great I'm afraid."

Abby moaned "It's been almost three months! Surely there has to be someone interested?"

"The only people interested aren't willing to pay half of what it's worth. I won't let you sell for those prices!"

Abby laughed. Melissa was always looking out for her. She was a good friend. Always watching out for her best interests.

Caleb got off the phone. He was in a mess as he walked into the loungeroom.

"Guys, we have a problem."

Noah and James looked up from the television "what?"

"Someone wants our girl. She's going on a date."

Both men stood up and Noah spoke "Tell Melissa I don't care about her damn loyalties I want to know where Abby is now!"

James stood nodding with a stern look on his face as he realised Caleb was starting to smile "What?"

"We're going to Perth."