Carnelian

Looking for precision? Look to Carnelian.

Carnelian

Professor Malfoy peeks over the edge of the desk she had ducked behind. The smoke was clearing and the shimmering grey shield her student had placed before her had protected her from the blast.

“I almost got it! It started to transfigure.” Savannah promised. Hermione stands up fully, glancing amusedly at the burn marks on the desk. Three hours into their first tutoring lesson had yielded little results.

“You have been reading the material I sent you?” She questions. Savannah nods, having finished the sixth year spell book before coming down to the empty classroom. It was now Thursday, her fifth day at Hogwarts, and a tutoring schedule had been constructed, with several teachers volunteering. This was her first lesson.

“I read all of the first through fifth year spell books in all areas, and I finished the standard book of spells for this year and the charms book as well.”

“Very good. Perhaps it is time to call it a night. You look exhausted and I’m sure you have plenty of homework to complete.” Hermione knew that Savannah was doing poorly in all areas of practical magic. In the written portions of her lessons and homework, she was excelling beautifully. It tempered to a very low, but passable, grade in most of her classes. The only classes she had O’s in were Ancient Runes, Herbology, Care of Magical Creatures, and History of Magic.

“Yes Professor” Savannah mumbles, pulling her hair back into a ponytail and wincing as she set her bag on her shoulder. Professor Malfoy grasps her shoulders, slightly stunned at how thin they were.

“Savannah, have you been sleeping?” The girl ducks her head, avoiding Hermione’s eyes.

“Or eating? You are losing weight, I’ve noticed.” Her voice is getting sterner, causing the girl to look up.

“I haven’t an appetite, Professor. When I cut off my magic, I can’t eat or sleep well.” The girl yawns, the bags beneath her eyes getting darker. Professor Malfoy bites her lips, knowing what she has to do.

“Savannah, I’m sorry, but we’re going to have to put you in the lower classes. You just can’t keep up and you’re failing almost every class.”

“NO!” Savannah explodes, fury crossing her face alarmingly. Professor Malfoy feels bad for the girl. She has an excellent mind, putting her in the normal classes would be a great waste.

“You aren’t up to par on the level of performance for your classes. At least with a wand, you’re not.” Savannah shakes her head, pulling out her wand and pointing it at all the objects they had unsuccessfully attempted to transfigure that night.

“Transvorto!” Savannah shouts, her eyes furrowed in determination. Professor Malfoy feels the wave of magic as it flows over the objects, watches as it prods the things into another shape.

“Savannah, did that actually go through your wand, or was it your wild magic?”

Savannah seemed stunned, her eyes wide and her wand hanging loosely in her hand. She was a lefty, something Professor Malfoy had just noticed.

“Both, Professor; I…I felt my magic. It sort of welled up, I felt as if it were cupped together with a spoon or a bowl or something and then I just…well I just threw it through my wand.” Savannah explains. Professor Malfoy claps her hands excitedly and hugs the girl lightly.

“You did it! I knew you could!” The door opens and Professor Potter and Professor McGonagall walk in. She hadn’t met Professor Potter yet, not having his class until tomorrow.