Chapter 36

A/N: I won't apologize for the delay. College has started and some of you know the fun of that whole mess! 

I haven't been writing for this. But, this book has a lot written for it. I hope to write over break, but honestly, if I just sleep, swim in my pool, and snuggle with my cat, life shall be perfect. 

I hope you all are doing well! I'm astounded by how many followers I have now, considering I've barely updated. I thank you all for the support and hope you learn from this site all that it can offer. 

Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter Thirty-Six

The leaves rustled, the sound like a thousand whispers announcing their arrival. The great griffin squawked an alert to those assembled who were waiting.

Slowly, they emerged, one tall and strong, the other weak against his side. One thin arm lay over his shoulders, keeping her up as she limped along with determined strides. The mediwizards waiting among those gathered rush forward, babbling in Spanish and waving their wands at the tiny creature.

“Put her to sleep.” One order was clear and carried out immediately. The witch fell limp against her carrier as a flash of red light hit her.

“What was that for?” Braulio demands, hiking Savannah into his arms and walking swiftly to the waiting portkey station.

“We are sorry, Headman Braulio. It was best.” One witch apologizes as she waves two of her male co-workers forward.

“Where are you taking her?” Braulio asks suspiciously.

“To our hospital in Portugal. It will be the most secluded and she can recover there.” Braulio nods and gently hands her over to the serious looking wizards. He reaches over and wipes some sweat from her pale face, pressing a kiss to the side of her mouth.

“Until we meet again, my butterfly.” He whispers. Without another word, he turns and confronts the ministry representative to give the requests for supplies to him.

“Let’s go.” The witch orders, picking up a broken walking staff in the shape of a tiger’s head and taps it with her wand, linking arms with the two men holding the sick witch as they disappeared in a whirlwind of blue.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Miss Weasley, a word?” Rose pauses in her daily walk to the lake. The air is still frigid, but warming slightly in the face of February. Hogwarts was still frozen in ice and snow, preserving the fragility of peace.

“Yes Professor McGonagall?” Rose asks, turning her stride to the wizened witch bundled up tightly and waiting by the greenhouses.

“I have just received a letter from a hospital in Portugal.” She says solemnly. Rose furrows her brow.

“I don’t understand.”

“It appears that Miss Merlin had been taken there two weeks ago after being brought from the jungle. They sent me a letter to warn me of the arrival of Miss Merlin in two hours.” Rose drops her bag, her knees nearly weak with relief. Her head spins and the terrible knot in her chest loosens, tears springing to her eyes as she breathes slowly.

“She’s alright?” She whispers hopefully. McGonagall nods, smiling as well.

“I have informed Professors Malfoy and Potter, but I shall leave the rest of her friends to you. Good day, Miss Weasley. Oh, and tell Savannah to visit me tomorrow morning to talk of making up all that she has missed.” Professor McGonagall walks away like the badass she is, hiding her own immense relief at the safety of the girl that had become like a granddaughter to her.

As soon as her old professor was out of sight, Rose shrieks loudly to the air, doing an exuberant dance and waving her arms over her head, her springy curls moving like fire as her pale, freckled face screws up in happiness.

~~

“Albus!” Rose screams, running through the Slytherin common room, ignoring the weak protests of the other snakes.

“Rose?” Albus looks up from his Arithmancy project to see his cousin barreling at him with dangerous speeds. He braces himself but Lionel snatches her about the waist and lifts her feet of the ground.

“Rosie posie, what is it?” Lionel asks. Rose blushes deeply at the nickname but struggles until she is set back down. She grabs Albus and pulls him to his feet, jumping up and down.

“She’s returning!” She screams. Albus’ mouth falls open while Lionel looks discreetly at the blonde sitting in one corner of the room, a fifth year hanging off his arm and pushing her chest into his eyesight. Brown eyes meet Lionel’s, cold and indifferent. Lionel sneers and turns his back on the twat, hugging Rose and Albus closely in silent celebration.

“Where’s Peregrine? We must tell her!” Rose screeches, already pulling the boys out the portrait hole. Albus pauses and turns to the person in the corner.

“We’ll be at the north courtyard in an hour.” He didn’t request that Scorpius come. He didn’t warn him of the consequences if he didn’t. He didn’t even reproach him for becoming a manwhore in the last few weeks. No, he simply informed him of the time and place and closed the portrait door behind him.

Scorpius watches his former friends leave. Without him. After a lifetime of friendship, this is what it all comes to?

“Shall we find somewhere more private?” The fifth year girl purrs against his throat. He stares down at her cheap make-up and unbuttoned blouse.

“Make it quick.” He mumbles, getting up.