Axinite

Axinite, the revealer of truth.

Axinite

Meanwhile, Rose and Albus stood before Professor Malfoy, waiting for her to speak. She was staring at them seriously, but no other emotion showed upon her face. Her lips were slightly pursed, and her fingers fiddled lightly with her wand.

“So she cannot handle a wand properly?” She inquires.

“We’re not sure, Professor. She was scared of being put in the lower classes, because she knows she can do this level of magic, just not with a wand.” Albus explains again. Rose breaks in.

“Usually at this level, it’s more about refining our focus, centering our spells on specifics and details, and using a lot of outline and discipline.” Professor Malfoy raises her hand gently, halting Rose’s speech. Her eyes are thoughtful.

“I shall let the class do review spells, from first year and up. That was the original plan anyway. Maybe she is starting too advanced. I shall speak with the Headmistress and get her opinion. It may be that she will have to take lower classes.” Albus coloured, wondering if they had done the wrong thing by telling. Hermione notices her godson’s blush and smiles reassuringly.

“Savannah will understand that you wished to spare her the reprimandation. You may sit down.” Rose and Albus took the front seats, watching the class file in. Savannah sat next to Scorpius in another front desk, leaving Peregrine to sit next to Jonathon the Ravenclaw at the last front desk.

“Today we are going back through the years. Simple transfigurations to the harder ones. They are listed on the board in order. Once successfully completing one, move onto the next. How far you progress will be your grade for the day. Begin.”

Savannah stares at the first one. Matchstick to a needle? She pulls out her wand, feeling its hum of power, separate from hers. It reverberated, like a pelt of hairs that go naturally forward and the feel of something brushing it the opposite way. It contrasted her, constantly challenging her. They were the perfect match.

Savannah held her wand over her matchstick, tapping it slightly and saying the spell. Nothing. She cuts her breath, blocking the flow of wild magic, and focusing her mind on the tiny stick of wood.

She says the incantation again, but absolutely nothing. She taps the matchstick, whispering the word. She says it in her head, she doesn’t tap it, she does tap it without saying the spell. Nothing! Not a spark of magic.

Scorpius, already on his third object, pauses and turns to see how Savannah is faring. Her face is thunderous, slightly red cheeks while her eyes flash deep blue. Her hair is falling about her face in small wisps. She’s gripping her wand with deadly force.

“Relax your body.” He instructs calmly, resting his hand over hers and making her fingers loosen. He deftly readjusts her grip and then draws the wand tip across the matchstick.

“Like that. Say the incantation clearly, don’t mumble. Be loud if you have to.” Savannah glanced about the classroom, taking in everyone else’s progress.

“Don’t mind them. You came here to learn, not compete right? So learn.” Savannah nods, her eyes darkening and she clears her throat, cutting her wild magic off and searching for the small tendril that was her controlled magic.

“Transvorto” She intones clearly, tracing the match. Before her very eyes, the matchstick glinted silver. Savannah squashed her urge to jump up and scream and kept focusing, tracing the line once more. The silver gets deeper, spreading about the stick.

BOOM

The match head ignites, giving a small explosion. Scorpius ducks and Savannah jumps backwards. The class falls silent in fascination. Professor Malfoy hurries forward, to see if her son is alright and also to investigate.

“What happened?” She demands sharply. Savannah shot to her feet, looking at the ashes of her stick.

“It backfired.” She explains. She was excited. She had almost done it. She would keep practicing, doing each movement as described. She would have to memorize the textbooks, maybe get that done over the weekends?

“What backfired?”

“The spell” Savannah responds cheerfully. Professor Malfoy chuckles as Scorpius pushes his hair back into place, rolling his eyes.

“Get back to work!” They have a double period. Savannah gets to work excitedly, shielding the match in case a repeat explosion happened. Over the next two hours, she managed to turn her match into a needle. She was getting the next incantation perfect and about to test it on the bird, to see if it successfully turned into a goblet, when the bell rang.

“I did it!” She cried excitedly, holding her perfect needle. The others were gone, except for her friends. Professor Malfoy paused by her table, taking down the extent of their achievements.

“You finished the list, Scorp?”

“Yes mother.” Scorpius drawls. She raps his head with her quill and turns to Savannah, who holds her needle out proudly.

“Savannah, I’m sorry, I can’t give you a passing grade.” Professor Malfoy says apologetically. Savannah shrugs.

“That’s fine, Professor. I can only get better.” She sets the needle down, waving her hand over it without thinking.

“Shoot!” She curses, taking out her wand.

“Er…what’s wrong now?” Rose breaks in. Savannah looks up, about to trace the matchstick.

“I’m restricting my wild magic. I have to start using only my controlled magic. No more easy way out.” Savannah says firmly.

“Transvorto.” She says perfectly. Scorpius ducks once more as the matchstick explodes.

“Merlin’s rotten front tooth!” Savannah curses violently, throwing her wand to the desk in frustration.

“Why don’t you guys go on ahead to dinner? I have to speak to Savannah.”

“We’ll save you a spot.” Peregrine says gently. Savannah nods hopelessly and turns to look at her Professor. She smiles kindly at the troubled girl, patting her shoulder and picking up her wand, handing it back.

“I was told of your little trick, Savannah, during the tests.” Savannah hangs her head. Professor Malfoy lifts it up.

“I understand why you did it, and that’s why I said nothing during class. I watched you struggle, and I watched you persevere. You have potential. Endless amount of potential. I will speak with Professor McGonagall and recommend that you keep your classes. You have the knowledge; you have the power, just not the technique and not the control. We will see how you do in your other classes, and then perhaps create a tutoring schedule for you, concentrating purely on focusing that controlled magic of yours.” Hermione pauses, her mind whirring.

“In fact, I believe you’re going about it the wrong way. Perhaps your wild magic and your controlled magic are the same thing. Attempt to focus and shape the magic within you, through your wand. Give it a try tomorrow?” Savannah; lost in these new revelations, nods blindly.

“Thank you Professor. I’ll research that idea; see if there are any other tips for it.” She waves good bye and runs from the room, eager for dinner. She was starving!

………………………………….………………………………….………………………………….

Author’s Note: Another chapter will be posted shortly after this one! :) All went very well today and I am so excited.

Also, I am dedicating this chapter to my Twin, ElynRose95 because she received exciting news today as well. I am so proud of her and I know she is going to make a great future for herself. And yes, I am tearing up, but I swear, it’s from the onions! Or it will be as soon as I cut them for dinner. ^-^

Thank you all for reading and commenting. All of you magical things are amazing. Stay that way! <3