Chapter 37

Chapter Thirty-Seven

“Just leave me alone.” Peregrine sighs, picking up her notebook one more time and continuing. Gladys grips her elbow and throws her back, ripping her bag from her shoulder.

“No, you little slut. I warned you not to be with him.” Gladys sneers, pushing the smaller girl to the floor. Peregrine shakes her head and attempts to get up.

“Stay on the floor where you belong filth. What can you offer him? Poor, talentless, ugly.”

“Love” Peregrine answers strongly, her eyes sparking. She snatches Gladys’ foot and twists it, making the older girl stumble and get out of reach.

“You whore!” Gladys screeches, taking out her wand. Peregrine closes her eyes to avoid seeing the curse, but it never comes.

“I suggest that you leave her alone before you come to harm.” A silky voice drawls, thick with danger. Peregrine opens her blue eyes to see Scorpius holding Gladys’ wand and the girl on the floor with disheveled hair blown about her head. Scorpius’ face was calm and impassive, but his brown eyes were like tawny flames, barely controlling the urge to cast a painful hex at the bitch who wanted to hurt his friend.

“She’s just a little no one.” Gladys whimpers. Scorpius takes a single step towards her and Gladys jumps to her feet, snatching her wand and running away.

“Scorpius?” He turns to her slowly, his hair messed up and his shirt unbuttoned, dark love bites littering his chest. Peregrine even saw the top button of his pants undone before averting her eyes back to his face. A bit a ways down the corridor, a broom closet door was open, a faint figure with her skirt hiked up and her hair as messy as Scor’s standing next to it.

“Are you okay?” Scorpius asks. Peregrine stands up, picking up her bag and her books. She slowly stops trembling and holds back the scowl that wants to plant itself on her face.

“I’m fine. Gladys is just jealous that I’m dating Albus.” She explains. Scorpius nods and continues to stare at her.

“I guess the others haven’t told you, but Merlin is returning in about twenty minutes at the North courtyard.” He says hesitantly. Peregrine widens her eyes, unmistakably glancing at his appearance and then at the girl by the closet.

“Thanks. Don’t mention this to anyone.” She requests as she walks away without another word, trying to get as far away before she hexed Scorpius on the spot. How could he do this?

Peregrine rushed up to the common room and dropped her stuff off before flying down to the courtyard and giving hugs and a special kiss to Albus while they waited anxiously for Savannah’s return.

~~~~

The wait was not for long. Ten minutes had passed since Peregrine’s arrival and Professor Potter had joined them, muttering some lame excuse for Hermione’s absence.

“I told James and the others, but they decided to welcome her later. She might not want large groups of people.” Harry explains.

“Smart idea. My brother has a brain.” Albus jokes before turning his eyes to the skies with the others as a griffin’s cry echoes throughout the grounds. Sounds of great wings flapping incessantly and a sudden breeze were other alerts for the newcomers’ arrival.

The golden one touched down seconds after the ebony, standing close like brothers as their riders dismounted, one tall and lean and supporting the other as she stumbled.

“I’m fine Morgan.” Her brittle voice could be heard.

“Don’t be stupid.” His voice was just as sharp and the others see her arm slung around Morgan’s shoulders and watch with worry as she limps forward. Her head is hanging low, her hair acting as a curtain and many layers of clothes hiding her skinny frame.