Chapter 26

Chapter Twenty-Six

“You look beautiful.” Albus manages to gulp as Peregrine settles herself across from him. She blushes deeply as she sets her books on the table, her hair turning pink before returning to blonde.

“Thank you” She says. She looks up at him, noticing that he seems particularly groomed tonight.

“Special occasion?” Albus shrugs and grabs his quill with a tremor in his hand. Peregrine reaches out and grabs his hand, stilling the shakes.

“What’s wrong Albus?” She asks gently. He gulps again and returns her hold, gripping her hand tightly in his. Was this how his dad felt when he first dated his mum?

“Peregrine, I’ve wanted to tell you something for a long while.” He starts. Peregrine’s eyes widen hopefully and her heart picks up. Was he going to say he loved her? Or ask her out? She preferred either.

“Peregrine, I—”

“Albus, Peregrine.” Lionel stumbles to a stop before them. Albus blows out an irritated breath and looks to his friend.

“Yeah?” Lionel smiles weakly as he notices what he interrupted.

“Sorry mate, but your dad and aunt have requested for us to meet them in the transfiguration classroom. Something to do with Savannah.”

“Tell me later?” Peregrine asks quietly as they gather their things. Albus bites his lip, his fleeting courage already long gone.

“I hope so.” She nods and walks ahead, hiding her disappointment. Lionel falls into step beside Albus.

“Tell her afterwards. We’ll lock you in the abandoned charms classroom.” Lionel promises. Albus groans.

“Please don’t.” Lionel nods unconvincingly.

“Sure, whatever you say.” They reach the classroom to find Rose and Scorpius already there. Harry, Hermione, Draco, and Ginny are there also. Along with Professor McGonagall and newly appointed Minister for Magic Ernie MacMillan. His wife was treating a bout of Pixie Cough among the second years and could not make it.

“Take a seat over there guys.” Harry asks them. There are a few chairs situated around a long table in the center of the room with a single chair in front of it. It faces away from the door. Another long table faces the other one, where the adults stand by.

“What’s going no mum? Dad?” Albus questions. Harry shakes his head, looking troubled. Albus takes Peregrine’s hand and sits next to her, situating himself by Scorpius while Lionel takes the seat by Peregrine. Rose moves to sit by him.

“Professor? You called for me?” If she was surprised, she did not show it as she closed the door behind her. Savannah took in everything with calm interest before looking at the seat in the middle of the room. “Am I under investigation or something?” She questions as she sits down. Ernie steps forward, hand extended.

“It’s good to meet you, Savannah. I’m Ernie MacMillan, the new Minister for Magic.” He greets her. She shakes his hand, smiling slightly.

“Congratulations on winning Minister.” He thanks her before stepping back and letting Draco come forward.

“Hello again, Mr. Malfoy.” Savannah says. Draco smiles slightly before taking a folder from his briefcase on the other table.

“I work for the Auror department, Savannah, did you know that?”

“Yes, Scorpius mentioned it. Why?”

“Well, a few weeks ago when Ernie was elected, I got orders to look into death eater attacks that occurred twelve years ago.” Savannah sharpens her gaze, her smile fading away.