Snowflake Obsidian

Chapter Sixteen: Snowflake Obsidian

Happy Christmas to all; snowflake stones for your healing needs.

Madame Bones gently closed the door to her rooms, recognizing the expression on the young Malfoy’s face and knowing he needed to be alone.

He sat down heavily in the chair by her bed, the table next to it already filled with a few cards and some daisies. He set his knapsack on the floor by his feet and settled his elbows on the mattress, staring down at her.

She looked as if she was deathly sick, with her face pasty white excepting her cheeks, which were bright pink. Her eyes were red-rimmed and her lips chapped. The tell-tale marks of Dragon Pox littered her neck and hands, which rested over her stomach. Her face was turned towards him, scrunched up in pain. Her long black hair, usually in a braid, was loose and spilling everywhere; over the pillow and her shoulders, even lying over her waist, with the length of it.

“Savannah?” Scorpius whispers hopefully. She doesn’t stir, though her eyelids flutter slightly. She lets out a whimper. Scorpius leans closer, letting his breath fan her face.

“Wake up, Merlin. You can’t get sick on us now.” He scolds gently. She stays silent. His chest feels strange, tight and clustered. What was happening?

“Well I’m going to keep bugging you until you wake up. So open those blue eyes of yours if you want me gone.” He says heatedly. Nothing occurs, except Scorpius leaning back a bit to lay his head on the covers, feeling tired.

~~~

The great creature circled the school once before folding its wings and diving for one of its turrets. He could sense her near, possibly right on the other side of this wall.

He walks to the nearest door, a great wooden block, and clawed at it for several minutes. He was intent on seeing her, as she had not come to see him today. She promised to never miss a Sunday.

His scratching came to an end as a rather small human opened the door with a cross expression. He screamed out in fear and scrambled back from the door as the creature let himself in, ruffling the feathers on his neck and taking off at a steady trot down the hall. It was full of younglings, probably students heading to class; it was early in the day. They broke apart before him, creating an aisle way. He turned and came to a great open place, which was at least a dozen floors high and had a great many staircases moving about through it. He unfolded his wings and jumped off the platform he stood on, gliding down until his sense of Savannah grew stronger. Possibly two stories up from the ground.

His talons and claws clicked on the marble floor as he made his way down the corridor. This one was empty and he swiveled his ears about trying to pick up sound. Several heartbeats, one very familiar. Good, then she was okay.

He came to a stop before double doors. They seemed to open inward, so he thrust his great head against them, making the simple lock between them snap and the doors to open to allow him in.

“What the-?!” A woman’s scream rent his ears, causing him to flatten them against his head. His eyes found a witch, probably in her forties, staring in shock at him. She was standing by a bed; a bed filled with his goal. A few students, the very same that he had met a month previously, also stood by the bed. He made his way forward, moving his eyes to the older witch.

Move away He commands. He was a powerful griffin, his connection with the great line of Merlin allowing his thoughts to be sent out to other humans as well. The witch gasps in horror while scurrying out of the way. He moves to her side, looking down at the girl.