Chapter 45

Author's Note: I know, I know, this is very very late. School is school and blah blah. Enjoy the chapter, I enjoyed writing it! \

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter Forty-Five

“Happy Birthday Jonathon!” Savannah yells out as she slides next to him at the Ravenclaw table the next morning. The boy is already decked out in a birthday hat and a few singing charms are attached to his robes courtesy of his friends. Brightly coloured pancakes wait with steam before him, and a tall glass of iced orange juice sit next to them.

“Thank you Savannah.” He chuckles and kisses her cheek affectionately. She smiles but quickly turns her face away. He had already caught the pain and the falseness of the smile but let it slide, knowing she would not want to talk about it. The thundercloud over Scorpius’ head was alert enough.

“When do you leave?” He glances at his watch and takes a bite of his delicious fruit-flavoured pancakes.

“Five minutes.” He laughs again at her grossed out face.

“Regular food is okay. But when it’s practically neon, it’s disturbing. Eat! I want to see the cherry blossom trees! And your girlfriend, Karen. She wrote me and told me to make sure you’re not late this time.” Jonathon chokes slightly.

“She wrote you?”

“Well, I wrote her first to make sure it was okay with her if I came. She was a bit relieved; I guess rumours had reached her about the beginning of the year.” Jonathon flushes slightly and stuffs more pancakes in.

“What came first? The egg or the chicken?” She fires off.

“Egg!”

“Chicken!” She manages to start a giant debate at the Ravenclaw table at seven in the morning. Success. She smiles and sips some coffee while waiting. Jonathon surveys his friend while he savors his delicious food.

Something had changed in her. What was it? Her smile was sadder, not as real. Her hair was back in its braid. Her clothes were the same. He didn’t see any disfigurement on her.

He gulps the last dregs of his juice and stands up, offering his arm to Savannah.

“Shall we?” She nods and slips her hand into the crook of his arm, walking with him.

“See you guys Monday!” She shouts at her friends at the Gryffindor table. Rose and Peregrine wave energetically while Lionel and Albus playfully glare at Jonathon, who grins wryly back at them. Geoffrey and James were stuffing their faces, looking troubled.

“What’s up with them?” He asks Savannah as they step into the hall.

“This weekend is Teddy and Victoire’s wedding.” She explains. Jonathon smiles sympathetically at the vague figures.

“Poor things. I hope it goes well.” Savannah nods and opens the door to the Entrance Hall.

“Morgan?” She pauses. Said boy slips from the shadows of the walls and approaches her. His eyes are troubled.

“Will you be okay?” He asks her. She sighs and shakes her head.

“I will be fine.” She insists. Morgan tilts his head and pulls out something from his pocket.

“I made this for you. If you ever need me, just press on the center and I will be at your side in seconds. Nothing can prevent me.” He hands it to her. A blackened chain with a lattice work of steel in a triangle pendant hanging off of it. In the center glints a single jewel, brilliantly amber in colour, reminding Jonathon of Morgan’s eyes.