Chapter 40

Chapter Forty

“Hey you” A boy plops himself down into the empty seat beside her. Savannah turns and smiles widely, pulling him into a tight hug.

“Jonathon! Where on earth have you been?” She demands. Jonathon shrugs, his hair long enough to flutter past his ears and his jade eyes flickering with warmth.

“I’ve been working really hard on my grades and then there was some family trouble. But it’s all resolved now.” He assures her. They pause to listen to Slughorn’s instructions before being freed to work on their potions.

“How was the Amazonian Jungle?” Jon asks. Savannah grins, grabbing his hand and showing him thousands of images of the jungle and all of its inhabitants within a few moments through a mental link. He blinks and pulls in a great breath when she is done.

“Wow…” He whispers, before starting on his potion.

“It was amazing. My favorite place.” She sprinkles in some ginger root.

“What’s your favorite place?” Jonathon pauses as he cuts a few leeches up. The class around them is bustling and busy, with the exception of two pairs of eyes following Savannah’s movements every now and then.

“I’d have to say the Japanese Gardens in the city where I live. Up in Ireland. It’s quite beautiful.”

“Japanese Gardens? With cherry blossoms?” She asks excitedly. He hands her the bottle of Kelpie blood and nods.

“Oh I’d love to see that.” She sighs, stirring a few times counter-clockwise, sticking her tongue between her teeth. Jon stares at her for a few seconds, thinking seriously.

“Would you like to go?”

“Yes!” Savannah grins and taps her ladle on the side of the cauldron before crushing a few oak leaves in her hands.

“It’s my birthday this weekend, we’re having a small party at my house on Saturday and I’ll be returning Sunday afternoon. You can come if you want?” He asks, mentally noting to tell his girlfriend back home before showing up with a pretty girl to his party.

“I would be honoured. Seventeen?”

“Yeah, the big one-seven.”

“You’re old”

“Hey!” He protests, glaring at her. She grins sweetly and turns her flames to low.

“My birthday is in June. I’ll be of age then.” She says wistfully.

“We can join the elderly club in summer then.” Jon chuckles. They both turn their flames off and stir clockwise one last time before stepping back. Their cauldrons puff up smoke once, twice, three times before turning yellow and simmering happily.

“Yes!” Savannah high-fives Jon, who grins proudly at her.

“Look at you, Ms. Potions extraordinaire!” She laughs and waves Professor Slughorn over to their station first.

“My, my what a perfect concoction. I shall have to raise your grade a tad, Miss Merlin. And please, thank your friend Jessica for me for attending my latest party. She was most enchanting.” He awards five points to Jon for his perfect potion before moving on.

“Bloody nerd.” Savannah coughs under her breath.

“Nerds will rule the earth someday.” He says simply. Savannah scoffs.

“Zombies, my dear friend, it’s the zombies.”

“Don’t tell me you believe that crock of blarney!”

“And what if I do?”

“I will refuse to acknowledge our friendship in public.” Savannah grins as they walk out of potions, her eyes glinting around the busy hallway.

“OI! I BELIEVE IN THE ZOMBIE APOCOLYPSE!” She shouts without warning. A slight dim in the bustle happens before a few people cheer and some groan. Jon is holding his side, laughing too hard to make words.

“Library?” He gasps when he can draw breath. Savannah thinks upon it, not really in the mood for lunch.

“Alright, lead on sir nerd.”

“You are incorrigible.” He sighs, slinging his arm over her shoulder and walking to the library.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“That was interesting.” Morgan remarks as he sits down next to Albus and Lionel at the Slytherin table. Both boys pause in their conversation about the upcoming Valentine’s Day to look at him questioningly.

“What was?”

“Potions”

“Oh, you mean Savannah and Jonathon?” Lionel inquires. Morgan nods tersely, his eyes flashing green.

“I was not aware that she had more male friends.”

“Jon’s kind of like her friend away from us. His been M.I.A because of some personal reasons, but he’s back now.”

Morgan nods without talking, his eyes wandering the hall.

“Where are they?”

“Probably hanging out somewhere.” Albus remarks warily.

“It’s just as well that she relaxes. She’s been pretty uptight since she got back.”

“It’s only been a week.” Lionel questions.

“It’s Savannah.” They fall silent as a certain blonde sits next to Albus.

“Langley wants us for an evening practice around five.” He informs him.

“Okay. You want to stay for lunch?”

“No, I have to finish some work in the library. See you at practice.” He leaves as quickly as he came. Albus sighs and pushes away his plate. Lionel pats him on the back.

“Why don’t you take Peregrine on a walk? She looks a bit down.” Lionel prods. Albus gets up and walks morosely off. Lionel shakes his head and takes another bite of his sandwich.

“He and Scor have been friends since birth. To lose someone so suddenly, it’s hard for Albus. He’s not used to being mad at people. If Scor would only apologize, Albus would only say that he forgave him ages ago.” Lionel explains. Morgan nods thoughtfully.

“Why have you all broken off from him?”

“Because he refuses to acknowledge Savannah. He blames everything on her.” Lionel sighs.

“Importunate git.”

“Too big a word for me mate, too big a word.”