CHAPTER 6: Didn't See That One Coming...

Could I say I was looking death in the eyes? Maybe, but I felt like I was being consumed, like I was losing a piece of myself, just by his intent gaze. I couldn't move from where I stood, as I tried to right my mind, to get my bearings, he spoke. 

"Hello Thaliah", He said. "Finally I have the honor of meeting you, I have heard so much about you". 

Now I was raking my brain for control. I felt Tiana beside me like a block of ice, I saw her reflection in his gaze. I gasp, she looked so pale, but he didn't miss that bit of realization that came to me. 

"My apologies, how rude of me not to have introduced myself, I am Karveen", he said. 

I knew that name, from somewhere I knew it but I couldn't put my finger on it. I raked my brain back and forth as my mind fought to gain control over the Phase I was under. (A phase was a space in time where someone was able to trap you. You heard everything, saw everything, felt everything, but could do nothing). Only mythical creatures of high standing could phase someone, even persons like themselves and there was nothing you could do until they let you go. 

"You must be wondering why I am here, well my dearest Thaliah, i am on an assignment which of course concerns you", he said with a grin. "And I was very much hoping we could have a little talk alone". 

I looked over at my parents and saw the pain in their eyes and their discomfort. In that moment I don't know what happened, what snapped but one thing I did know I was as mad as hell as I tried to push past the barrier that held me. 

"Why fight it, you'll only entangle yourself even more", Karveen said. "And from what I hear its quite unpleasant", he laughed. 

He laughed at me. Well it was clear he didn't know me, one thing you did not do was tell to me give up, because I didn't know the meaning of the word. So I did the only thing I could do, I targeted the barrier with all I had and pushed. 

From where Karveen stood he could feel the energy radiating from me as I propelled my strength into the shield. His expression moved from amusement to shock, guess he didn't see that one coming. I broke out of the phase and was now staring him dead in the eye, one thing I learnt was never to underestimate anyone no matter how small they were. 

He began to back away towards the door, I wanted to hurt him, hurt him bad, but I focused my mind to grab him at the throat I needed answers and I needed them now. Having a hold on him, caused Grams and Granpa, along with Tiana to be released from the phase. Needless to say she was shocked to her toe nails. But at this point I was so pissed that I didn't realize that my grip on him was too tight until I heard a bone crack and his howl. 

Of course, they can feel pain and I was intending to cause him as much pain as possible. Grams and Granpa were at my side instantly and stood behind me, as I made my way over to where Karveen stood, motionless in pain. Oh he wasn't under a phase, I couldn't or maybe didn't know how to, but the grip I had on him was equal to ten heavyweight body builders holding down a twelve year old. Where I got the strength from I didn't know. From what I was told such power didn't come until maturity at 22, guess I was way ahead of my game or maybe the anger that had rose up in me triggered it. 

"Careful Thaliah, it wouldn't be wise to hurt him more than he is already hurt", Granpa said. Well some people really knew how to dampen someonelse's mood, and I was only getting started. "Oh well", I thought. I turned and looked at granpa, there was a seriousness in the look he give, which told me to back off. So I stepped aside and went to stand near Grams. I quietly asked her if she was ok while holding my grip on Karveen, she nodded a yes, keeping her eyes on Granpa as he approached him. 

"Karveen, I'm gonna to say this once, why exactly is it that you are here and why do you want my daughter". 

Karveen suppressed a laughed. And spoke in a calm voice, "Such matters are not discussed with weak, worthless humans like yourself" and he smirked. That pathetic little smirk did it, I gripped him even tighter and basked in the scream that escaped his lips. 

"Thaliah", Granpa yelled. "Stop it, now", I immediately complied and loosened my grip. But boy was I mad right now, he phased everyone and insulted Granpa and I was the one being yelled at. WOW. 

"You better tell your darling daughter to save her strength, she is going to need it", and with that Karveen was gone in a puff of black smoke and so was the man outside, I soon realized. I felt Tiana fall beside, she fainted, and man did she pick the right time to do it. I guess everyone had a lot of explaining to do because what Tiana saw, was never supposed to exist, and why Granpa defended that ass wipe, was beyond me, but what I did know I was going to get my answers by foul or fair play and Karveen, boy does he have coming. 

"Thaliah", Grams called my name, I came out of my planning and plotting. I looked up from where I knelt beside Tiana. She had a troubled look on her face, as she began slowly, she said "The man you saw Karveen, well he, umm he's", she attempted again, but the words didn't come out. She was definitely beating around the bush, but before she could finish, Granpa spoke up, "Thaliah, he is you big brother".