Potential

FLASHBACK

20 YEARS AGO

I was walking down the hallway when I heard a small argument around the corner, normally I wouldn't care about them but I heard Matt's name being thrown into the conversation. Quietly I pinned my back to the wall that divided me from the argument that was going on behind me.

"I have done everything I can for Matthew...it is time for him to figure out things on his own Sister." An older man's voice replied I peered over seeing the man that was helping Matt with his blindness arguing with the one Sister.

"He's just a kid...he still needs you." the Sister exclaimed though I heard a small slam from the older man's stick shut her up.

"I told you that I have finished everything I could with him, now he must handle the rest on his own." The blind man announced she nodded turning and headed into the room leaving the man standing there. I could see his head cocked to the side for a moment and his hand tightened on the cane. "You know eavedropping is wrong?"

"You are leaving Matt? Why?" I asked moving from my position until I stood a good distance from him while he fully faced me.

"You heard what I said." He answered not fully answering my question before I watched his face scrunch for a moment and tilt again. If I knew better I would say he was scanning me with whatever he had that made him the way he was. He began moving closer to me until he stood a few inches from me. "There is something special about you...something locked away deep inside."

"What are you talking about?" I exclaimed watching his one hand removed from the cane and placed it onto my chest. I didn't flinch away as it hovered where my heart was and I locked my eyes onto his sunglasses.

"You have potential...a fire inside you that is desperately seeking to be freed." He exclaimed still holding his hand where my heart was.

"What does that mean?" I asked watching him pause for a moment he released his hand from my chest and returned it to the cane.

"You'll figure it out." He answered turning and started to head back down the hallway behind him as questions raced through my mind.

"No...tell me what you mean?" I begged seeing him stop and turned his head to the side not fully looking at me.

"Do you really want to know?" he wondered I took a step towards him until I closed the gap between us as I was now behind him.

"Yes. Tell me." I answered watching him fully turn to face me as his hands gripped tightly onto the cane.

"If you come with me tonight I can help you free it." He began I went wide eyed by his request as my mouth gaped open.

"And leave Matt here alone? I can't do that." I reminded watching the older man shrugged his shoulders to my answer.

"Then you will never know the truth." He exclaimed turning around and headed towards the entrance in front of us. I stood there turning to the door where Matt was before turning back to the old man as he stopped by the door. "If you change your mind...I'll have a car here at midnight. If you aren't in there by one in the morning then I will know your answer." He turned and left me standing there with a big decision to make.

~~What

~~What...potential?~~