Black Equation - Chapter 19*

Chapter 19

He hid his white blond hair under the black woolen hat that 06 gave him.

Status?

“Negative,” he murmured softly. He was at the rooftop of the twenty-storey condominium, searching the nearby buildings with his naked eye for signs of the mission’s subject, the fugitive Falcon. There was no suspicious activity in his line of sight. “I’ll personally check on C3 first. I think C1 and 2 are both too low to snipe from.”

I agree. I’ll handle B7 up to A1.

“I already did an hour back, and you just finished thirty minutes ago.”

Double-checking.

“Worrywart,” he snided.

Roger, Hanade replied, ignoring the sarcasm but acknowledging his unspoken approval. Alexey waited till the sound of the party faded from the background. Hanade had already left the room.

What a marshmallow.

Hanade, out of his personality, insisted that everyone be protected from Falcon. Instead of just focusing on saving the target, they needed to guard the whole party of oblivious teenagers. Oh great. Just great. Now, the load got bigger. And since they’re partners, both would have to go on rounds.

 Alexey eyed the taller building, a famous luxury hotel, codenamed C3, for a split second. He headed for the door and then entered the elevator. As he waited for the metallic box to reach the ground floor, he couldn’t help but reassess the situation. He knew he warned Hanade about worrying too much, but, oh well, whatever. His words always didn’t apply to himself. He’s not 06.

He paid no attention to Hanade’s rhythmic breathing or the girly conversation captured through Selena’s earphones. Instead, he let his awareness travel throughout the vast network inside and outside of the condo. He felt the usual tingling sensation of his Gift run all throughout his body. The pull and attraction of conductors and metals, all alive to him and him only.

Nope. No sniping rifle nearby. The only weapons he identified were the handguns of the guards by the entrance and one small señorita hidden on a lady’s purse that just left the premises.

He quickened his pace and stepped outside into the cold night. Tasting the late-autumn wind, he watched the faceless crowd in the busy avenue. Some were simply ambling around the sidewalks, while others where in a hurry to get home. It was already getting late, Alexey remembered, and as he turned towards C3, he a familiar blonde. He stiffened for a second before he realized it was his reflection from a shop window. He thought it was…

I saw a suspect on the ninth floor of C3 at eleven o’clock. With a duffel bag. Weapon possibly disassembled.

06’s intruding voice pulled him out from his trance. He recalled that he had something to take care of, that this was no time to idle around. His balled fist shook until his knuckles grew white, blood oozing from his palms as his nails dug into his skin.

“Hah!” he grinned as he climbed the emergency stairs from outside. He was getting excited as he ran. “Subject is with his metal babies? Did that bastard really believe that could harm me? Should’ve guessed it sooner.”

This is civilian area, 04. Be careful with your Gift.

“Killjoy,” he scoffed as he reached the designated floor. Of course, he knew that. 06 didn’t need to remind him like a child.

If he prepared an alarm, you might accidentally set it off.

“Mind your own business.”