🕊️SR 12

Hazel James

When I was in high school people used to walk over me because I wouldn't retaliate. People would gossip me but I would pay no mind. I would just do something for them to like me later.

One incident I remember most was when we were in the cafeteria.

We were seated in the cafeteria when the most popular guy in school stood up and called my name. "Hazel!" He had shouted.
"Will you go to prom with me?" He had this gigantic smile on his face and his arms were wide open. He wanted a hug. I had jumped from my seat shouting 'yes' and run to his direction. When I was about to reach him he sat down and laughed with his friends. The whole cafeteria was in chaos as people roared in laughter. Even the lunch servers themselves. I had shamefully walked out of the cafeteria and sat outside under a tree. A girl brought my bag to me together with lunch and we ate. That's how I met Madison.

But now, this was worst. If only I had listened to Madison. I wouldn't be in this predicament today. I looked at the people in the room. Jennifer claimed to be my friend. She lied she was lesbian. I told her everything. But behind my back she was laughing maniacally.

Christopher, I don't even know what to say. How Leon even added into this equation I could not pinpoint. Lastly, Conrad. He played me and blindsided me. Claiming to love me. Sending his twin brother who was Jennifer's fiance on his behalf.

"What have I ever done to you?" I asked bitterly. Conrad took long strides to me and grabbed my arms. "Don't play even more dumb. It is because of you that my mother killed herself. It is because of you that my father left leaving behind a letter on how you and your brother duped him. You disgust me." He spat.

"But don't worry. You will pay for everything you have done. Including what your brother did. It was good you decided to run away with the money. You will pay bitch."

I was very confused. What was he even talking about. "But...what do you mean?" I stuttered. I had not seen the hand until I felt the impact. The sting on my cheek told me all I had to know. He had backhanded me.

My mind reeled as I slumped onto the floor as tears sprang into my eyes. "That is where you belong. On the floor. That was how good you were. Remember when you claimed to love me and behind my back you were blowing my and my father's security team to get away with your misdeeds."

I looked at everyone else in the room. They had gone all silent. Even when Conrad assaulted me they kept quiet. I wiped away the tears that had escaped. "I quit." I said.

Conrad chuckled darkly. "My God! Your stupidity and foolishness always amaze me. You are so dense. It was this that made me find you easily and lie to you about my undying love." He smiled sinisterly.

Suddenly his face turned all serious and hard. "Now listen carefully, you will not quit. I have fired you. Not so fast bitch. You will work in my house as a slave. You have no choice in the matter otherwise your dear old daddy and Madison get it. Understood?"

I always knew my brother was a curse from the ancestors. He was why our father was in the hospital almost on his deathbed. My elder sister was another case.

Never in a million years had I thought that my life would be reduced to this. My father always told me to walk with my head held high. To never allow people to screw me over. To be vigilant and see behind people's facade. I guess that's why he liked Madison instantly.

I was brought back to reality when my chin was harshly grabbed. "Not a word of this to anyone. Not even that friend of yours. A phone call. Just a phone call from me and your father's treatment stops. Remember that."

"Now go home and pack some things. Someone will come to haul your ass to my house. You're dismissed. Wipe those tears and act normal. Bitch."

I took what was left of my shattered dignity and left hurriedly. I could distinctly hear them laughing and someone saying you did well and let the games begin.

Vote|☆|
~~~~~~