Chapter 31

After Macy confronted Jax and the initial flood of adrenaline faded she was left home alone with the baby. Opie couldn't just stay with her all day and despite wanting answers, and much more, from Shane she had no way of finding him.

When Opie arrived at the clubhouse a few hours after the blow up with Jax and Macy he barely got a foot in the door before Jax went after him. He got one solid blow in but Opie managed to dodge the second and recover quickly.

"What the fuck was that?" Jax hollered rather than try to throw another punch.

"You lied to all of us," Opie shouted back. "The whole club."

The commotion had already drawn attention but the accusations had piqued interest as well as concern.

"What the hell is this?" Clay asked angrily, shoving Jax back to her between the two younger men. "What happened?"

"Jax pushed Shane away," Opie blurted out. "Scared him into running out on Mace."

Clay turned toward his stepson, fury burning in his eyes, and shook his head. "Chapel. Now."

Before he left the main room, Jax snarled at Opie proving their personal issue was far from settled. Clay waited by the door and once Jax was in, he slammed it shut with a roar.

"What did I tell you?" He bellowed. "What did I say?"

"He knew everything," Jax yelled back. "Ireland, the guns, JT and Maureen, he had it all mapped out in his office."

"I KNOW," Clay roared. "We talked about this. I told you we'd sit him down, talk it out, they're married for Christ's sake! You went behind my back, you lied to me, to the club and to Macy.

Jax sneered. "You really think he woulda kept that shit to himself? You think a little heart to heart would keep all that truth from spilling over?"

Turning away, Clay shook his head and tried desperately to keep his composure. He was afraid if he went off he'd beat Jax far beyond what anyone would deem reasonable.

"He loves her and that kid," Clay said, his hands turning to fists despite the pain in his joints. "He woulda sat on anything if it meant staying with her."

"He's a selfish, glory driven COP," Jax spat back.

"Where's the glory in running? Where's the glory in losing your family?" Clay growled. "What's the real reason you wanted him gone?"

"To protect the club and your fucking secret," Jax spat. "I just didn't give a shit how it had to hurt Shane."

"How it hurt Macy," Clay corrected him. "I didn't give a shit about hurting him, I didn't want to hurt her."

"I was doing what I had to to protect the club," Jax said defensively.

"And I was trying to protect the club and my family," Clay snapped. "You have some personal shit with Shane, as soon as he started coming around you knew you wanted him gone."

"That's not the way you do it?" Jax asked accusingly.

"Don't," Clay warned Jax, pointing his finger in Jax's face.

"What are you gonna do?" Jax asked, ignoring the veiled threat.

"This isn't a club issue, this is personal," Clay growled. "We'll settle it in the ring and then I'll make sure Macy has the chance to get right with you too."

"That what we're gonna do? Lay it all out? Cause I'm sure there's some information she'd love to hear about you."

"And Gemma, your own mother," Clay reminded him. "She made that choice and brought Macy in, you let that secret out and it's not only me you're hurting."