Chapter 28

The day Shane went missing was still fresh in Macy's mind even over a year later. Gathering up the cash she hid it in the coat closet and went to sit at the table with the note. She traced the numbers with her finger over and over, still unable to fully believe what she was seeing.

"Oh sweetie," she said to the baby. "This is Daddy. I know it. He's out there."

Shane just babbled, completely oblivious to the weight of what his mother was saying.

Macy grabbed her phone but looked at the screen with uncertainty. Who could she call? Who did she trust enough?

"Grandpop? Grandmom? Uncle Jax?" Macy looked at Shane and nodded. "Grandpop. Definitely Grandpop."

Clay was there quickly, within the hour quick, and after a round of hugs he was questioning Macy.

"When?" Clay asked, counting the stacks of cash as he stood in the closet doorway.

"This morning," she explained, leaving out Opie's presence for obvious reasons. "It was in a puffy envelope on the step."

"Was it actually mailed?"

Macy shook her head. "No. Someone dropped it off."

Clay turned and sat at the table, inspecting the money wrap with Shane's badge number on it when the truth fluttered into his brain.

"Keep it. Use it. It's fine but if there's any issues, I'll take care of it."

Macy's face twisted up. "I don't care about using it, Dad! I care about who left it and where Shane is."

"Sweetheart," he groaned. "I don't think we'll know that. You're too far off the main road for traffic cameras, you don't have any security like that out front, and unless you want to involve the police you're not getting prints off that package."

"What about Unser?" She asked urgently. "Could he check it for prints?"

"Macy," Clay grumbled, "Wherever Shane is, dead or alive, this cash isn't from him."

"I don't agree," she said staunchly. "Why would they put his badge number on it? Why would they drop it off in such a shady way? They didn't even try to make it look like the post office delivered it. There's a message here," she snapped.

Clay grunted, thudding his fists down on the table in frustration. "I'll look into to but I don't want you getting involved. Do you understand? This could be nothing or someone could be coaxing you out."

"That's what I'm hoping it is," she admitted. "Either it's Shane or whoever was involved with his disappearance."

"You are gonna be the goddamn death of me," he groaned.

"Yeah, either me or Mom," she agreed with a shrug.

Clay shook his head. "Promise me you don't look into this shit. Leave it to me, Macy."

"Promise me you'll actually look into then," she said, crossing her arms over her chest.

Clay nodded, "I already know where to start."

Once he left, Macy sat and began to cry again. The urge to call Opie was strong, she didn't know why, but she figured a friendly voice would be comforting.

She text him, still crying at the table, having no idea Shane was off behind the house stealthily watching her.

"We gotta talk."

Jax heard the angry words before he even realized Clay had entered his home. Tara and Gemma looked at him with concern and surprise on their faces but they didn't say a word. They knew better.