Chapter 19

Knowing that Opie would be at the clubhouse for a bit longer, Macy felt comfortable heading home with Shane to compose themselves and talk. There would be no awkward and possibly violent as long as they were gone before morning.

"I am so sorry, Shane," Macy said again. She leaned against the doorframe, watching as he cleaned himself up in the downstairs powder room, their eyes meeting in the mirror every so often.

"Sugar," he sighed, "None of that was your fault." Shane turned to look her in the eyes, rather than her reflection. "What happened? I only saw you trying to get away."

Macy shook her head. "It was nothing until it was something," she mumbled. "He came in after me, tried to talk me into giving him a pass, another shot, he told me he loves me and that he's scared," she slowly trailed off. "Then he grabbed my arm, kissed me, and you saw the rest."

"I don't want you going back there," he told her.

"I don't wanna go back," she admitted.

"Are you scared he'll do something?" Shane asked, growing even angrier.

Macy actually laughed. "Opie? No, not at all. I've never been scared of Ope in my life, I just don't want the guilt trip and the awkward shit. I gotta find a place fast."

"Stay with me," he offered. "I'm closer to the firehouse than your parents anyway," he winked.

"I...I don't know," she shrugged.

"What?" He asked, crossing the bathroom and taking her hand in his.

"I don't want to fuck this up," she laughed sadly. "We did the whole crazy about you thing earlier but I'm in love with you, Shane and the last guy I fell in love with crushed me."

"I love you too," he said, his voice a raspy whisper. "I'm not gonna crush you, Mace."

Shaking her head, Mace stepped back. "I don't know."

"Alright," he said. Raising his hands in surrender and putting more space between them, he began to clean up the used gauze and bandages. "Whatever you wanna do, whenever you wanna do it, you just let me know."

Macy huffed, realizing she was letting Opie dictate her life and as stubborn and proud as her parents, she wouldn't let that continue. "You know what, let's do it," she said with a smile.
Shane turned, a wide, sunny grin on his face. "Spite?"

"Not exactly," she laughed. "I just don't want to let him take any more of my time."

Shane hurried back to her and, snaking his arm around her waist, kissed her ardently. Bending her back slightly he felt his heart flutter as she giggled into his mouth.

"We should go," he mumbled. "I don't want to be here when he gets back."

"Mm-hmm," she smirked. "Let me grab some stuff." 

Tossing his trash into the small trash can, Shane chuckled a little. "I should thank him," he yelled to Macy, "If it wasn't for him I don't think we woulda admitted all that."

Macy stopped at the bottom of the steps, one of the places she and Opie shared an early, clumsy kiss, and shook her head. "I wanted to. I didn't like the ambiguousness, if you didn't feel the same, I had to know."

"I do," he nodded.

Smiling, she nodded and bolted up the steps. They were back in his car within five minutes and heading to Shane's. Opie, meanwhile, sat angrily while Clay ripped into him over his behavior but toward Macy. It was a harsh lesson that he'd learn again when he eventually found out about Macy moving.