Chapter 25

*shortie!*

That same evening Shane had woken up, the Sons turned Caleb Sampson into police. They weren't happy about it but they did it then watched the local stations blow up with breaking news reports.

"Accused cop killer Caleb Sampson in custody tonight."

The news was everywhere but Shane and Macy were far from relieved or even happy to hear it.

"Mace," Shane said, his voice still raspy. "You know this changes shit."

She nodded. "I know."

"I love you, Mace. You swooped in and turned me into a one woman man, made me want more, made me one to settle down but your family," he groaned.

"Shane, I know," she whimpered. "You're trying to tell me you're going to stop helping the club, right? Draw a line?"

"No, I want to prove what they did," he told her. "I can't lie to you. I can't pretend I'm not going to look for every opportunity to take Opie down."

Macy's face fell. "Shane that's not how this works."

"How does it work, Mace?" He asked angrily. "You're pregnant with my kid, we live together, we're building a goddamn future and that fat fuck tried to murder me. Imagine being alone, raising that baby by yourself with nothing from the department because we're not married. That house would be sold, you'd get no life insurance payout and you'd be forced to go back to the club, just like they want. This was planned, Macy."

It was all true. If Shane died the house would be taken, his pension and life insurance wouldn't be paid out and she would be left homeless and broke.

"Yo-you really think that's what they wanted?"

"I do," he said, starting to lose his energy. "I think they wanted you back home, under their thumb."

"You should get some rest," Macy said distractedly. "You're still healing."

"I'm doing this Mace," he said, laying his head down. "You're my family," Shane places his hand on her stomach, "I'm gonna protect you."

*6 Weeks Later*

"I hate this," Macy sighed. Her hands were trembling as she watched Shane put his uniform back on for the first time since the shooting.

"I'll be on desk duty for at least a week," Shane assured her.

Macy nodded. "And your other little investigation?"

"On going," he said ominously.

"It makes me more nervous than you going back to work," she admitted. "It's done, Shane. Why don't we just move on?"

Shane closed the gap between them, he could Macy's tiny baby bump as he envelopes her in his arms.

"I don't know if we're safe," he admitted. "They fucked up the first time doesn't mean they won't try again."

"No they," she corrected him, "If this was the club it was Opie."

"Let's just be sure then," he said, kissing her softly.

Macy didn't say anything else, she was too confused to commit to either side when it came to the shooting.

"I love you," she said sadly.

"I love you too," he smiled. "Both of you."

"I see you tonight," she waved from the doorway.

Shane winked at her before jumping into his truck and driving away. Macy closed the door, whispering a silent prayer to whatever god was listening, before going to start her day. Laundry had piled up and Macy lost half her day to it but by lunch she was able to sit and look through baby items online, her new favorite pastime.

The knock at the door didn't startle her but seeing Jax on her front step sure did.

"Uh hi," she said awkwardly.

"Hey," he smiled.

"What's up?"

Jax shrugged, craning his neck to look into the house a bit. "Haven't heard from you in a while. Wanted to make sure Shane didn't turn you into a lamp shade or shit."

Macy grimaced. "Nope, I'm good."

"Good," he smiled and nodded. "Can I come in?"

"Jax, I," she started but he cut her off.

"Shane's not here, I waited till he went back to work, doesn't that get me some bonus points?"

Macy groaned and nodded. "Fine."

"Clay's been worried about you," Jax told her. "You stop in for a visit."

"I'll call him," she huffed. "You want a bottle of water?"

"Water?" Jax laughed. "Nah, I'm good."

"How's the baby?"

"Good," Macy smiled genuinely for the first time since he arrived.

"You look good," he said, "You look happy."

"I am, finally."

Jax drew his head back. "Oh yeah? That's fucked up, Mace. You saying you were miserable you're entire life until this asshole showed up?"

"No," she rolled her eyes. "I just mean, I'm content. I was happy in Charming, I was, but I grew up and I'm happy, really happy with how my life has turned out."

"Good for you," Jax said with a grimace. "How's Shane?"

"Great," she said sharply. "I don't really want to talk about him."

"You still think it was us?" He grumbled.

Macy shook her head. "I don't know but I know it's just a tense subject for us so let's not get into it."

"You know Mac-" he started but stopped mid sentence when the phone went off. "I know you wanna get it."

Racing off, Macy grabbed the phone worried something had happened with Shane. It was Shane but her fears were unfounded, he was just saying hello.

As they chatted, Jax crept around the house looking in drawers and closets to ease his curiosity. Peering into Shane's office, Jax saw the layout on his wall, the photos of himself and club members including JT, and littering his desk were police reports.

"What the fuck?" He growled. Grabbing his phone, Jax called Clay and continued scanning the information Shane had gathered.

"How is she?" Clay asked with concern.

"Macy is fine but Shane is out of control, we gotta handle it."

"Come by the house," he grumbled. "We'll talk."

"Yeah. Okay."

Jax continued to look around, growing more and more angry as he searched the desk. "He knows," Jax hissed, seeing a photo of JT and a pregnant Maureen. "Macy doesn't know he's doing any of this shit."

"Jax?" Macy called out from the kitchen.

"Bathroom," he hollered out as he slipped out of the office. "Be right there." Jax hurried down and found Macy right at the bottom of the steps. "Sorry, long ride."

"It's fine," she said dismissively. "It was Shane."

"He good?"

Macy nodded. "Yeah, he just wanted to say hi."

"I gotta go, just wanted to check in," Jax said as he headed for the door. He leaned in and kissed her cheek, feeling guilty already. "I'm happy for you, Mace."