Chapter 39

Leaving his home, Opie raced to Macy's, well what was once Macy's, not pausing to think of anything until he parked. He hesitated, walking around the wide of the house to see what he could gather through the windows but they were all covered.

"Fuck," Opie grumbled, pulling his gun from his kutte.

He found the backdoor ajar, gently inching it further with his foot. It was still dusty and bare but there was a light coming from the dining room.

"Honey I'm home," he heard a weepy but unmistakable voice whimper out to him.

"Mace?" He whispered, rushing into the house to find her. "Macy?" He called out loudly this time.

"Dinner's ready," Shane announced, appearing in the doorway between the kitchen and dining room. "Why don't you join us?"

When Shane stepped aside, Opie was able to see Macy, duct taped to the chair at the opposite end of the table. Her face was red and soaked with tears.

"I'm sorry," Opie grumbled, his heart breaking at the sight of her.

"Adorable," Shane muttered angrily. "This is why I had to do this. She wouldn't just listen like I asked," he huffed.

"I'm sorry," Macy cried, "I just wanted to come home. I didn't want this."

"Opie, sit," Shane told him, unphased by the gun in Opie's hand. "All I wanted to do was make Macy happy, after what you did I wanted to show her we're not all selfish assholes but it didn't matter. They always go for the assholes."

Macy let out a sob, "Please stop."

"If you don't stop whining I'm going to stop you for good." Shane grabbed his knife from his pants and pressed it against Macy's neck. Pulling her hair, Shane forced her chin up so Opie could see clearly how serious he was.

"Don't," Opie raised his gun.

"You think you'll shoot me before I slit her throat?"

He wouldn't and Opie was sure it wasn't an injury she could be saved from. Reluctantly, he placed his gun on the table.

"So what is this?" Opie growled, seething as he helplessly watched Shane tease and torture Macy . "What do you want from me?"

"I just wanted to see it," Shane said with growing frustrations. "This what you were so desperate to get back to, Macy?"

"It was everyone," Macy cried. "Jax, Ope, my parents." She screwed her eyes shut, terrified to die but also not wanting to see the sorrow in Opie's eyes any longer.

"Well I should have invited all of Charming, I guess.

"I'm sorry, Ope," Macy wailed, pained sobs racking her chest. "I love you so much. I'm so sorry."

Shane grunted, slamming the knife down on the table. "All I wanted was to love you," he said, "But you never gave me the goddamn chance."

As soon as the blade was clear of Macy's neck, Opie raised his gun. "Hands up."

"You gonna kill me?" Shane asked, sounding almost hopeful. "An unarmed man?"

"Cut her loose," Opie ordered, ignoring Shane's loaded questions. "Now. You flinch and I'll shoot you, but you won't die." It was clear Shane wanted out, he was in too deep but he couldn't do it himself, he was too proud and too scared.

Shane hesitated, giving Opie a cold stare, but did as he was instructed and without any taunts or threats. Placing the knife back down, Shane shrugged. "Now what?"

Opie dreamed of this day. He could clearly see himself murdering Shane in any number of ways but knowing he wanted it made it less exciting. "What happened?"

"What?"

"His contact ditched him," Macy announced, rubbing her irritated wrists. "No job means no money," she added, "And they were going to sell him out to SAMCRO."

"You're a fucking coward," Opie hissed, standing up now that the threat had been mostly neutralized. Turning to Macy, Opie buried his need to hold and love her, at least for the time being. "What do you think, Mace? How'd Deputy Walsh hold up in prison?"

"Not great," she replied, clearly not enjoying the taunts as much as Opie.

"Maybe I'll call Roosevelt instead," Opie suggested, "Be that upstanding citizen I always shoulda been."

"No," Macy pleaded.

"You want me dead, suga?" Shane spoke softly, just barely touching her hair as he reached out to her. "Guess as usual Opie let you down," he smirked. "That's what got us here in the first place."

"Mace," Opie said warningly, not able to blurt out his plan. "Don't."

Shaking her head, Mace grabbed the knife from the table and turned, plunging it into Shane's neck. She gasped as blood began to spurt, not even realizing what she had done until it was too late.

"Oh my god," she whimpered, stumbling back.

Opie was beside her in seconds, wrapping her in his arms and shielding her from the sight of Shane crumpling on the floor of their dining room. For the first time since Shane reappeared, Macy felt safe not only because he was bleeding out at her feet but because she was there, with Opie, pressed against his strong chest.

"It's okay," he said quietly. "You did the right thing, Mace," he tried to soothe her.

"I know," she cried. "I love you," she told him, her words muffled by his shirt.

"I love you too," he assured her, "But, babe, we gotta deal with this now."