Chapter 2

** Special thanks to Sara for helping me proof the chapter! You're the best!! **

After the incident with Dom, Macy kept a low profile to hide the fat lip he had given her and help her bruised ego recover. Even without the physical mark, she knew those closest to her would know she was shaken and Macy refused to open herself up to that scrutiny.

It was Friday morning at Hanna's when Macy saw Gemma saunter in, her boots clicking on the linoleum floor. Macy took a deep breath before heading over to the back booth her mother picked.

"Hey Ma," Macy said with little enthusiasm.

Gemma looked up at her daughter. "That's all I get?"

"What?" Macy said defensively, shuffling her feet a bit.

"Where have you been? Jax said you haven't been around in days."

Macy rolled her eyes. "I'm getting ready to move in with Ope."

"I know," she clicked her tongue, "Jax told me and your father."

"Sorry," Macy huffed. "It's been a long week."

"We were worried," she told her. "You should have at least called us back."

Macy grimaced. "I didn't know you called. My phone is kind of, ugh, totally shattered."

"Get another one," Gemma said authoritatively. "You can't not have a phone, Macy. We need to reach you."

"Phones are expensive, Ma."

Gemma scoffed. "You never had trouble asking for money before."

"Fine, I'll come by after work and hit Dad up for some cash."

Gemma smiled and gave Macy's hand a quick squeeze. "Good. Now, what's this shit with Ope?"

"Nothing," Macy groaned. "Donna moved out, he needed a roommate and I was tired of living with Jax and the junkie."

"Is he she using again?" Gemma asked eagerly.

"Oh, no, I don't know," Macy shrugged. "I don't think so, it was just a joke."

Gemma eyed Macy suspiciously. "I'm going to look into that."

"I wouldn't expect any less," Macy rolled her eyes. "You just here stalking or are you going to get something to eat?"

With a chuckle, Gemma stood up and shook her head. "No. We have a family dinner tonight, don't miss it."

That evening Macy arrived at her parents' house wondering what degree of family this dinner was going to be. There were the small dinners, her and Jax with Gemma and Clay or a mid-sized dinner, Clay, Gemma, Tig, Macy, and Bobby or some other mix of longer-term Sons, those were her favorites. Then, of course, there were the massive dinners. Any man in a kutte, children and old ladies, they gave Macy anxiety, too many people in a small space at a volume so loud she could hardly hear herself think.

"Jax, Dad, Ope, and Piney," she said noting the bikes outside. "Not bad, but suspicious."

No one seemed to notice when she entered through the kitchen door, they were too loud and too involved in their conversations. Tossing her bag and keys down, she grabbed a beer and joined the others at the dining room table. "Sorry I'm late," she said with a little wave.

Before she sat, Macy made the rounds and said hello to everyone, giving her parents quick pecks on the cheek. She took the empty spot next to Opie and gave him a shove. "I got some shit in my car," she told him. Think you can help me with it?"