Chapter 22

When they arrived home from the roundhouse, all Shane wanted to do was shower and sleep but Macy was ready to talk. While he showered, she put on a pot of coffee and poured them each a cup. As soon as he came back to the kitchen she handed him his mug and gestured to his usual spot at the table.

"Sit."

"Mace, I know," he groaned.

"No," she snapped. "You don't."

Shane shut his mouth, only nodding, and let her say what she had to say.

"You kicking his ass was too much," she held up her hand when he attempted to speak. "I know it felt good, babe, and there is no denying that Opie deserved it but it was too much, especially with your job and my family."

"You mean the club," he corrected her.

"It's the same thing to me," she admitted.

Shane nodded. "I know I'm gonna get it from Trammel, probably his commanding officer too."

"Let him sulk. Let him do whatever he's going to do, don't let it impact us."

"Alright," he huffed. "You're probably right."

"You know I am," she smiled a little. "I just want distance between you and the club, I know with Trammel you'll be doing whatever you two do, with the Sons and others, but can you put as much space as possible. Please?"

"I can, starting next week," Shane cringed.

"What?" She growled.

"I'm doing your dad a favor," he said with a heavy sign.

"Jesus Christ, what kind of favor?"

"Calm down, sugar," he pleaded. "Just pulling someone over."

"That's it?" She asked, her eyebrows raised high with suspicion.

"A Son is gonna drop some shit in the backseat, I'm gonna find it and lock em' up."

"That's it?"

"That's it. Easy traffic stop."

Macy nodded. "Then that's it. Nothing else directly with the club, please?"

Shane nodded. "I promise, Macy."

"Okay," she sighed, "Alright."

"I love you," he crooned, standing and making his way over toward her.

Macy pursed her lips and rolled her eyes but slowly nodded. "I love you too."

--

A few days later, at the beginning of a specially picked overtime shift, Macy called Shane and gave him the veiled information exactly as her father told her. It made her nervous when he did things against the badge, even more than when the Sons were on a run or a drop or even a shooting. As a cop, Shane had much more to lose than the club ever did.

"Be careful," she said earnestly. "Please."

"I will," he said soothingly. "I love you, sugar."

"I love you too," she said, her smile so wide he could hear it in her voice.

Macy hated being involved, she didn't want to be, but it was smart and safer. They all knew a call from her while at the firehouse wouldn't be suspicious if phone records were ever searched. They weren't expecting to be caught or even suspected but with Shane's well-known connection to the club, they had to be extremely careful.

"What's wrong?" Beach asked Macy, noticing her sour expression.

"Oh, nothing," she shrugged. "Not into working tonight."

"I'm hoping for a slow one too," he commiserated. "Figures it was an optional pickup. How are you feeling?"

"Tired," Macy sighed, "But that's it so far. Remember, no one at work knows. I only told you early because you're my partner."

"My lips are sealed," he promised her with a wink. "Cards?"

Macy shrugged. "Board game, I'm too distracted for cards."

Beach nodded and they headed into the firehouse, the previous shift filing out with bright smiles on their faces.

"I hate them," she grumbled.

"And they'll hate us," he chuckled. "Anyone cooking tonight?"

"Boyce is at the store now so I think the guys are getting Chinese."

"Again?"

"I know," she huffed. "Always Chinese. I think O'Malley mentioned pizza."

"I'm good with pizza," Beach said as he grabbed Scrabble off the shelf. "Alright, Morrow, let's test our vocabulary skills."

Half the board was filled when they got their first call, an OD under an overpass that many addicts frequented. Macy hoped it would be quick, that the NARCAN would work and the patient would survive but the pit in her stomach made her doubtful.

They arrived in under two minutes and administered the NARCAN immediately. Everything was going according to plan until the patient regained consciousness. He shot up and pushed Macy away while screaming wildly about not wanting help.

"You wanna call patrol?" She asked, watching cautiously as the patient continued to grow more agitated. He was screaming about the government and implants, clearly needing help, but neither of them wanted to approach him.

That was when the radio crackled loudly from inside the ambulance cab calling Beach's and Macy's attention. "All units respond, we have two officers down. Repeat, all units respond, two officers down."

"Fuck this guy," Macy said, snapping off her gloves and heading toward the ambulance. "We gotta take that call."

"Morrow," Beach shouted, "Relax. Let me drive, kid."

The scene was blocked off at the intersection so Macy and Beach grabbed their bags and jumped out of the cab. They weren't the only ones responding but since they were already out of the firehouse they were one of the first pairs to arrive.

"Morrow!" One of the other paramedics shouted from a few feet ahead. "Go back."

"Why?" Her heart instantly began to thump as panic flooded her system. "Why should I go back?"

"Macy," Shane's commanding officer said somberly as he appeared through the crowd. "Come on, let them work."

"On who?" She whimpered. "Who got shot?"

"Shane and Vic Trammel," he told her. "I'm sorry."

"Sorry?" She gasped. "No. No. He's not dead." Macy moved for a better look but still couldn't see anything. "Shane?" She shouted, crouching under the police tape and jogging forward. "Shane!"

"Macy," Beach followed after her. "Macy, come on."

"Oh god," she stopped when Shane came into view. He was soaked in blood but still alive, Macy knew that much because the paramedics were still working on him. "Shane!" When she was about as break into a sprint, Beach grabbed her waist.

"Don't."

"Shane!" She shouted. "Let me see him! Let me help!"

The pair of medics working over Trammel suddenly stopped and the change in their expressions proved that there was no saving him. Macy wailed as a white sheet was laid over the body, for Vic but also fearing Shane would be next.

"I just want to see him," she cried, as she relented and ended the fight against a much stronger Beach. "He can't die. This can't be fucking happening."

"You gotta breathe," Beach said soothingly. "You gotta stay calm. It's not good for that baby, Macy."

Macy turned away from the scene to hug Beach and that was when she saw Opie, ghosting around a large tree in a neighboring parking lot. Their eyes met and in that instant, she was instantly sure that Opie was to blame for Shane's injury and Trammel's death.