Chapter 12

When Tara arrived, Clay lifted his daughter onto the pool table and put an old couch cushion under her head. He quickly gathered his guys to the table and left Macy in Gemma's and Tara's hands.

"Jesus," Tara hissed, cutting Macy's jeans to her knee.

"Don't ask," Gemma said warningly.

"Please tell me you have something for the pain?" Macy asked desperately, not caring if she looked weak or childish.

Tara smiled a little. "Jax told me you were in a lot of pain, I brought something for you."

"Thank you," Macy whimpered. Grateful, she swallowed the pill without asking what it was and within five minutes she was asleep.

"How bad is it?" Gemma asked once Macy couldn't overhear and panic.

"Actually," Tara looked up at Gemma, "She got pretty lucky. Few more inches and the bullet would have shattered her shin bone, she would have needed surgery. I can handle this though."

Gemma nodded. "Why are you doing this?"

"Excuse me?"

"Why are you helping us?" Gemma clarified although she knew Tara wasn't confused on her meaning.

Tara sighed heavily, keeping her eyes on Macy's leg, and slowly began to speak. "Jax asked me to help Macy, she's a kid and she's an innocent kid. He was upset and he said she was very upset. How could I say no?"

"You could get in trouble," Gemma reminded her, "You could lose your license, go to jail."

"You don't have to go on," Tara grumbled.

"I'm just making sure you know what you're doing," Gemma warned.

"Does whoever taking care of Opie know what they're doing?"

"Chibs can handle it," Gemma said casually. "Macy's a little more sensitive."

"Where are they?"

Gemma raised an eyebrow. "Why?"

"I just wanted to take a look."

"They're in church," she said, "It'll probably be a while."

"He's just bleeding in there?"

"You done yet?" Gemma asked impatiently.

"Want me to do it quickly or correctly?"

"Aren't you clever?"

The chapel doors opened and the Sons stormed out into the bar area, Opie still limping with a pained look on his face. He stood behind Clay and listened as Tara was practically interrogated on Macy's condition.

"She'll be out for a few hours," Tara explained. "They'll be a scar but she'll be fine." Looking passed Clay, Tara made eye contact with Opie. "Want me to look at yours?"

"I'm good," Opie grumbled.

"Coupla stitches and he's fine," Chibs interrupted.

"Macy too," Tara smiled a little. "You two were very lucky."

Opie nodded, his face not showing how angry and conceded he was for Macy. "I guess."

"If it starts to look nasty, you know how infections start to look, let me know I'll get some antibiotics over to you."

"Thank you," Jax said, pushing by Clay and Opie to hug Tara. "I know this is a touchy thing."

Tara eyed him but didn't say anything. "I should go."