Final Chapter

*Cadences POV*

As morning came, it took a huge amount of effort to get out of bed. My face was hard and my eyes were crusted from the crying I was doing all night. My body felt stiff, as I laid in the same spot the entire night. I couldn't sleep at all, for Layne was on my mind the whole time. I hated thinking of him because every time I did new tears came to my eyes. The morning was foggy and rainy, and it matched perfectly with how I was feeling. I trudged out of bed, slowly making my way down the stairs of the manor. The house was quiet, all except for my footsteps. The only thing I could hear was talking coming from the kitchen.

I didn't want to face or see anyone today... Or anyone for that matter. I was afraid Layne was in there, laughing away and not realizing what had happened last night. I took a deep breath and pushed open the door. Nobody directed their attention towards me. They just continued to talk and laugh with each other. Layne wasn't anywhere to be found, and I was sorta relieved. I grabbed a cup of coffee that was freshly brewed, and sat down at the table. Adrian and Labiba didn't even look at me, but they grew silent.

I cleared my throat and looked down. I felt tears welling up in my eyes and I couldn't let them see me cry.

"Any news yet?" Adrian asked, fiddling with his fingers. Labiba shook his head

"He hasn't answered any of my texts or calls. I hope he's okay..." She kind of snarled at the end, her eyes drifting towards me. I looked at her and she stuck her nose in the air. "Not like it matters,"

I sat my cup of coffee down and glared at the evil witch herself. "I had nothing to do with what happened, okay?" Or at least, I hope I didn't... I knew he was upset last night but knowing Layne, he probably went off some where.

She laughed slightly. "I doubt it. He only gets this upset when you two are fighting,"

"We aren't a thing anymore..." I muttered under my breath. Adrian's eyes grew wide and Labiba didn't say anything.

"Then what DID happen?"

I grew silent. I didn't like talking about it. Adrian lounged back in his chair and sighed. Labiba's cold eyes stared hard at me as she got up from the table and left. I groaned and put my head on the table.

Adrian leaned in towards me, and whispered, "Cadence, I have a bad feeling about all of this," I looked up at him, squinting my eyes. He gulped quietly, sitting back once again.

"What do you mean?"

"I think Layne is dead..." His eyes looked around.

My eyes grew wide. "How would you know?!" I questioned.

"I'm a ghost. I can sense everything that goes wrong,"

"So you automatically assume he's dead?!" My voice was growing louder. He tried to hush me.

"Cadence... I'm sorry, I don't assume. I know... Why do you think he hasn't came back? Why do you think he was talking about ending his life?"

I cried. "Vampires can't die..."

He chuckled. I glared at him. "That's just what everyone is telling you,"

I started sobbing. Layne was dead. There was nothing I could do about it. I lost the only thing that mattered to me. I left the room, flung myself on the couch, and cried.

-
(Late at night)

I awoke to a huge clock ringing; noting the time as each hour passed. I groaned and sat back up, running my eyes as I came to. I looked around the room to make sure I was alone.... But I came face to face with Layne. I jumped, because I saw wasn't Layne. It looked like him, but he was covered in black and red blood, his wounds were opened back up, and his hair was no longer bleach blonde. His eyes were still that piercing green but they were bloodshot. Blood was dripping off of him and onto the floor. Surely this cannot be him?! I reached out to touch him, and he stepped back.

"Layne...?" I could barely get the word out. He just stood there, not saying a word. "What happened..?"

His eyes begun to turn to slits, and he slowly took step by step to get to me. He kneeled down in front of my face, slowly smiling at me. His teeth were covered in blood and his fangs were super sharp. He chuckled, putting his hand on mine. I snatched it away from him.

"You're not Layne!"

He shook his head. "But I am. I am here to take you with me, Cadence," his voice was dark and scratchy. Didn't sound like him. I gulped and I was about to scream.

"Take me w-where?"

"To hell," he smiled evilly. "You will be my last meal,"

I started sobbing, wanting to cry out for help. This was just a dream.... Layne grabbed my arm and pulled my neck close to him. He inhaled my scent, licking at my vein that popped out. He snickered, letting his teeth graze against me. I couldn't fight him. My arms weren't working... Nothing was. I soon felt his teeth dig into my skin, sucking every ounce of blood out of me...

My body started to sag as I was losing consciousness. He was laughing and right before I died, he whispered in my ear, "Now do you see the monster that I am? I never loved you,"

Authors Note; that is the end of the Neighbors Son. I am so happy YALL loved this book and if you guys could check out my other one called Promises You Can't Keep, I'm sure you'll love it(: thank you so much for the love and support.