Chapter 37

Chapter 37;

*Cadences POV*

I heard Labiba cussing and groaning at Layne through his bedroom door. I couldn't help but constantly worry about what was going on in there. When she came home, she didn't say a word to me as she put Layne in his bed.

Clark wouldn't say much to me either. He just sat on the couch with an emotionless expression on his face. I kept pacing outside of Laynes door, wanting so badly to break it down. I had to know what had happened. I needed to know if he was okay...

Labiba quietly exited the room with a serious/sad expression plastered on her face. She shook her head as she looked at me, and placed her hand on my shoulder before she left me alone. That worried me a hell of a lot more.

I hurriedly went into Laynes dark room, not being able to see anything in front of me. The only thing that was lighting the room was the moonlight coming from the window. It was very dim but it was enough to the point where I could see Layne in his bed. I ran over to his bed and fell on my knees.

I grabbed hand and placed it on my cheek. "Please tell me you're okay..." I whispered.

He sighed. "I'm far from okay," his voice sounded rough.

"Layne, don't say that. Are you really okay?"

He turned his head to look at me and the only thing I could see were his piercing ice green eyes. They were slits and it was honestly terrifying. "Does it look like I'm okay?" He snapped.

I didn't say anything as he sighed and closed his eyes.

"I'm sorry," he murmured.

"What happened?" I gulped, not wanting to hear it.

He took a deep breath. "When I went to go kill Austin... He reopened my previous wounds and even more of his venom got into me,"

"Is he dead?" I whispered, my voice in agony.

He nodded. "No thanks to me," his voice sounded disappointed. But then he cupped my face and caressed it. "Cadence, I need to tell you something. Promise me you won't get upset?"

I gripped his hand, squeezing his fingers. "It depends,"

He sighed. "I'm not going to make it, Cadence. Not this time," he seemed so sure if it.

I felt the tears well up in my eyes as those words hit me. It felt like salt in my cuts. It was something I never wanted to hear.

"No... You can't die... Why can't you be saved this time?! What's so different? I have saved you once and I can save you again!?" My cries came out hysterically. I couldn't lose him.

"Cadence, enough..."

I stood up, throwing his hand back to him. "No! Stop telling me what to do! You're not going to fucking die. I won't let it happen... I-I-I can't... I won't.."

"There's nothing that can be done. My time here is finally over and I would rather die knowing you're okay and nothing can harm you than to die knowing that you're upset with me!"

"Why can't you be saved?"

He pursed his lips. He seemed to think about it for a while and that was scaring me. I tapped by foot, demanding an answer.

"There was too much venom that had gotten into me. I would also like my time to be up on this earth. Is that alright?"

"Why Layne?! Why? Do you not care about me? Do you not love me?!"

He looked at me with disgust and his eyes pierced right through me. I pissed him off.

"Why the fuck would you even say that? I went through hell trying to keep you safe. I didn't have to do any of that, but you know why I did? I fucking love you, Cadence. Alright? I wouldn't have even bothered with you if I didn't think you were worth it. Now why can't you just let me die when I want to? Don't you care about me?"

His voice started to get softer as he progressed. I crawled into the bed with him, pulling his arm around me. He sighed and tried to tighten his grip without causing him much pain. I was bawling at this point. I didn't want to lose him but I didn't want him to go through this hell anymore. He sighed, and rubbed my arm.

"What am I gonna do with you, Cadence? I don't want to leave you, but I'm tired of suffering. Don't you get it?"

I nodded, not wanting to talk anymore. If I did, my voice would shatter and more sobs would rack up. I gripped onto face and kissed him fiercely. He kissed back but it was weak.

"Layne?"

"Hmm?"

"How long do you have to live?" I dreaded asking this.

"Tonight may be my last night alive, but can I tell you something?"

I nodded.

He smiled. "I have never felt more alive,"

I sobbed again. I couldn't help it. He gripped me as hard as he could, and he kissed my head.

"I love you, Cadence. Remember that... Always,"

"I love you too,"

Those were the last words I have said before everything went black.