Chapter 3

Chapter 3;

"My first day of school sucked, mom! I never want to go back there! I wanna go home!" I yelled as I stormed into the house. It was about 7:30pm, and I threw my backpack on the floor, and flopped onto the couch. My mom came out of the kitchen, wiping her hands with a dish towel. She squinted her eyes at me, and sighed.

"It'll get better, honey. You'll see. We won't move again after this, I promise you,"

"How come I have a hard time believing you..." I mumbled under my breath.

"Excuse me?"

"Never mind. What're we having for dinner?"

My mom smiled at me. "Chicken noodle soup." She went back into the kitchen. I looked out the window, and noticed something strange. It looked like our neighbors were throwing something huge into a fire pit... It kinda freaked me out, because it looked like a dead body... I shook that thought from my head, and decided that I was hallucinating. I'll just go investigate later.. Right now, I was tired, and hungry.

I walked into the kitchen, and my mom was pouring soup into two small bowls. Trent was bouncing up and down in his seat at the site of the food. My mouth began to water as I realized how hungry I was. I sat down next to Trent as our mom was placing our food in front of us. She smiled then left the room. Trent started scarfing down his food, and I was trying to eat fast so I go could go next door.

Once Trent was done, he smiled at me. "How was your first day?" he asked, as I finished up my food.

"Good..." I muttered. I didn't really want to talk to him. I got up, washed my bowl out, and started heading for the backdoor. Trent gave me a confused look, and just walked out the kitchen.

I had to quietly jump over the fence, and hide behind a bush or something. I didn't want to be seen. I wanted answers from this boy, and I wasn't going to leave without them. He really pissed me off today, and I couldn't get him out of my head. He had his back turned to me as the fire raged on. I took this opportunity to get closer to him. I hope he couldn't hear me. I only got half way to him before he spoke.

"I know you're there, Cadence. Don't come any closer," He growled, still having his back towards me. I stood up straight, and slowly made my way towards him.

"I need to talk to you-"

"What's there to say?"

"Why were you acting like that at school? And why do you have a fire going?"

He turned his head, and his face looked attractive in the fire light. "I don't think you need an explanation,"

"Oh, but I think I do,"

He laughed. "Don't test me, princess,"

"And stop calling me that! I hate it!"

He had me up against the fence this time, and I didn't even see it coming. It was so sudden, and fast, I didn't even see him move. He had his arms on either side of my head, and he was surprisingly close to me. He had his face near my throat, and I heard him suck in a breath and let it out. It kinda scared me. He then held his face in front of mine, and I was staring into the most beautiful ice green eyes. His pupils were back to normal... And that concerned me.

"Weren't your pupils slits today? I thought I saw them..."

"You don't know what you saw,"

"Your eyes..."

"My eyes are fine. Now, get out of here before I do something I regret," he pushed himself off the fence, and walked back over to the fire. He crossed his arms, and his face became hard, and determined on it. What was so special about it? I didn't see anything wrong with it...

"I'm not leaving.. I want to know something first,"

"You want to know my name?"

"How did you-"

"I just know,"

"So are you going to tell me?"

"Lucifer,"

"Lucifer?"

"Yes,"

"Is this some kind of joke? Are you really named after Satan?"

He chuckled to himself, and shook his head. "It's just a nickname I go by,"

I got closer to him, and then stood by his side. He didn't look at me, but the fire lit up his eyes, and they danced around. "What's your real name?"

"I don't think you need to know that. We've had enough show and tell,"

"I'm not calling you Lucifer,"

He turned his head towards me, and sighed. "Layne,"

"What?"

"My name... Is Layne..."

"Is it spelt like L-A-N-E?"

"It has a Y in it.."

"Awh, that's cute," I smiled, and he gritted his teeth. He didn't like his name and I didn't know why. It was cute. But why did he go by Lucifer? I looked up at him, and he had his eyes closed. His lips were pursed, and he had his index finger and thumb on the bridge of his nose. I touched his arm, and he yanked away from me. His eyes flew open, and his pupils were slits again... What the hell?

"Your eyes... They're doing it again..."

He blinked, and his eyes were back to normal. How odd. He shook his head, and started pushing me towards the fence. He helped me up, and I made no questions about it. Once I was over the fence, I soon heard a door slam shut, and the fire was out. I walked back into my house, and wondered what went wrong.

Authors Note; I will be updating Afraid to Love in a few days. I've been busy lately, and I did use the name Layne. I couldnt think of a name, so I used that one from one of my fans!(: