Chapter 23: wake up call.

Bailey's Point of View:

Last night was a rollercoaster of emotions. I am dead tired. I haven't had anything to eat in hours because I have simply lost my appetite. I refuse to leave the ward until I know Cole will be 100% alright.

You see, last night Cole got admitted into hospital and I was crying my eyeballs out. I was scared to lose him forever. I even prayed for my very first time. Cole was in the operation ward for almost 7 hours. Seven bloody hours (literally). Waiting for the good news to be announced by the doctor was like waiting for the rain in the desert - it just felt like it wasn't ever going to happen. But eventually, the doctor came out and said Cole has overcome the most dangerous and serious stage of his fatal state and that he was at least not going to die. That was the good news. The bad news? He is resting in a coma.

You're probably wondering how Cole didn't die. Well let me enlighten your pea-sized brain. Firstly, one should believe that a man like Cole will survive anything. He is the strongest, the bravest fighter out there. Secondly, the bullet managed to pierce through his chest without touching any of his organs at all. Which means that the bullet was lucky enough to have been shot through the tiny empty gap in his chest. Thirdly, he has me ... he wouldn't want to see me live without him while he's role-playing angel in heaven. I know I'm talking too big for my head - but after last night, I knew Cole was the one for me, for us.

You see, yes I had a crush on Ace. But that was purely based on his looks... the physical attraction. The more time we spent together, the less attracted I felt on the interior. Don't get me wrong, he's still smoking but I just didn't feel the way I was supposed to. On the other hand, whenever I'm with Cole, I could just be me. He makes me laugh, he protects me, he cares about me so much he took a bullet for me. I have finally woken up and realised what a gem I've got. I need to at least be honest to Cole about everything - including that night in the sauna.

Cole was fast asleep in a coma - he wasn't going to wake up anytime soon. It was unpredictable. But I am willing to wait for him. Whether it's 1 month, 1 year or 10 years. I've decided to name my son Ashley Cole Milano - and if god allows, Ashley Cole Miu.

Olivia and Kai finally came back from their resting and was ready to take over my shift of being Cole's guardian angel. We just needed to be by his side and be there when he finally wakes up.

Even though I am not the one shot dead, I felt like I was revived on the inside. I finally felt like I could start fresh. I felt like I could live my best life.

Ethan was still on the hunt, he really managed to plan a wicked revenge upon everyone - the only problem was that the execution didn't go in his favour.

Ace explained to us last night exactly how the intrusion began. They most probably had set everything up the night before or even on the day. The reason why there is certainty in this is because of Uncle Nate. He was a higher level in the gang and had authority over almost everyone. So whoever he bought with money, had helped him with the plan without him being present at the spa. Uncle Nate knew the brothers would first check the security room when the lights went out - they were waiting to attack us when we were there all along. They took the stored-away armour and weapons on purpose, to make sure that the brothers had limited resource. What they didn't expect was for me to be there. Had I not been there, I couldn't have distracted them and bought time. But it was all my fault that Cole had to take an unnecessary bullet.

I arrived home and took a quick rinse in the shower, scrubbing away all the stains, all the bad luck. After that, I hopped into a bubble bath - I needed to let loose and ooze myself into the steaming bubbles. As I got into bed, I set an alarm to wake myself up in the next 4 hours so that I could be on time to swap shifts with Olivia and Kai again. I need to be there when he wakes up. I also sent Ace a "we need to talk text. See you tonight at 8." I needed to tell him I am moving on and pursuing a fresh start with his brother, even if Cole doesn't wake up.

Normally, on Saturday mornings I would be taking my day off just to sleep and catch up on my books and series. But today is going to be different, it's going to be productive - it's going to be life changing. I closed the curtains of my eyes and drifted off to sleep without any stutter.

*5 hours later*

Fuck. I overslept. I couldn't even hear my alarm. Shit shit shit. I need to get out this place. I grabbed whatever I could find and quickly got dressed.

The doorbell suddenly rang.

*ding dong*

Fuck I need to get that... "Coming!" I yelled. As I was sprinting to the door, the bell chimed again. Maybe it's Olivia and Kai who forgot the house keys.

I opened the door and Ace was waiting for me. I felt a bit awkward.

"Bailey, you alright? I thought you said you'd be at the hospital by now. Olivia and Kai are still waiting and asked me to check up on you. We almost thought Ethan or someone invaded this place." Ace put his hand on my shoulder and gently comforted me.

"I'm sorry to worry you guys, I overslept. I didn't hear my alarm at all." I explained.

"Well I'm ready to leave when you are." Ace stood by the door patiently while I grabbed all of my things. We went downstairs and got into his AMG and began making our way to give Cole a visit.

The car rides with Ace were always so uneasy... the conversations just didn't come naturally. So at that moment I decided to speak up.
"Ace, you're an amazing person. You're attractive and smart - you're full of potential. The only thing is, I feel like you're missing something, I feel like you're missing a part of yourself. I don't know if it has to do with someone but I can feel that you're empty. I know you were attracted towards me, but I'm sure you can tell it ends there. We couldn't grow our affection, it was merely infatuation. I don't know how to tell you but I'm in love with your brother. I know you might hate me after all I have put you through. Please just let me take care of him until he wakes up again. If you need me to leave, I will do so."

Ace sighed and gently smiled. "You're right Bailey. I am missing something in my life. Truth be told, I am still in love with my ex, Lila. I thought I could get over her when I met you. But I learnt my lesson now and realised one cannot be replaced. You're amazing too Bailey and I can see Cole loves you so much. You both deserve to be happy together and I will be here giving you support. This is a wake up call, if Cole can fight for love like this then so should I. I'm going to get hold of Lila again and win her back."

_____________________________
2 more chapters left!

Jess x