Chapter 4: a peek into C's daily routine.

C's point of view:

It was no lie that Dany .. Bailey has my heart. But why did she lie to me? For security purposes I had to dig up her past. 19, honours student, married to Ethan Hayes. Why does she call herself Dany? Why won't she own up about Ethan? Why was she alone that night? And why is Ethan's profile blank? Who are these people? All these questions itched me. Not even Uncle Lee's drunken schemes gave me such a rash. I was lying in bed throwing and catching a tennis ball. The technique helped me think. Sparrows outside began to harmonise. It was time for my light morning run. My doctor reassured me that this was one of the only things that would keep my heart healthy. The left side of my chest still has a webbed-looking scar from the bullet I took 2 years ago. I shouldn't have lived but the stubborn universe agreed otherwise. My recovery has been somewhat miraculous but also slow. There has been a few times where I was rushed back into ICU out of the blue. But I know my time on this Earth is going to be short lived. Who cares anyway?

I arrived at the headquarters and my client who I had to address as "boss" was waiting for me. We had to seal a simple marijuana deal that was going to be transported by train next month. "Thank you boss!"

... "No, thank you, boss!"

My brother's office was angled at 180° from mine. I could see he is in distress. Ever since I almost died, my father had been pressuring my brother to get married. He was afraid that our own blood would not succeed Black Tigers and so he arranged our alliance's daughter, Kelly, to catch Alex's sperm. I know Alex is just putting up a show. Lol Kelly? Not a chance that's his type. His one and only girlfriend he ever had was the Bailey-type... my type. Yes, we share the same taste in women because we have only ever dealt with the other kind.

I had to leave for the harbour within the next hour. Goods are shipped and received everyday - it was my duty to do quality control. My best boys: Liam, Carter and Kai always made the process less of a responsibility. I've known them my entire life. Kai is my cousin and my father recruited Liam and Carter at the orphanage when they were 5. We are all currently 22.

It has been 3 days since I saw her angel face. She popped into my thoughts more than food did - and that says a lot. But how is she doing. Is she coping with the workload? Is she being treated well? Actually let me give Olivia a call.

dialing Olivia Hoeface...

Don't worry, she's not my hoe nor a hoe. It's just that her last name is Ho and she even jokes about it. There's consent, I promise.

"Hello?" she answered in an accent.

"Olivia Hoeface, it's me."

"Yes I know hoe, what do you want? Oh let me guess, checking up on your significant other?" her sharp tongue asked.

"Yes smart ass, it has become part of my daily routine. Real talk, how is she?" I was actually concerned.

"She's normal, not too chirpy, Padmé looking." Honest to god, she does look like Natalie Portman for real.

"C, why don't you call her yourself?"

Hmm... Why don't I? I guess, it's not my place. "Thanks." And I hung up.

I had finally completed all my obligations for the day, if only I could delegate duties. My stubborn old man says "I worked hard for this, you should too." But little does he know, I'm dying soon. I'm just doing this to fast forward time and to keep the old man's mouth shut. These days, the only duty that Alex is assigned to is making babies with that ... person. So obviously my workload doubled.

I drove past the sushi restaurant I took her to on the first day. Again, she infiltrated my brain. I decided to order the same platter for two but on a takeaway basis. On the way home, my phone suddenly jingled.

Unknown Caller ID

It's probably those annoying telecommunications. But something nudged me to pick up.

"Hello?" I answered. I was pretty damn frustrated.

"Hello?" I said again. But no response.

As I was about to hang up, I heard a sob and a soft "C, I need your help."

______________________________
Comments?

Jess.