Chapter 16: doctor.

Doctor Ali's Office in Central Vice Hospital:
Cole's Point of View:

"Doctor, I don't know why the symptoms bite me in the ass more than before." I was worried for once about my health condition - maybe because I have some will to live now.

"Cole, from the ECG, it seems like you are overworking your heart. Are you still taking your morning runs like I asked you to? And punctually attending your medication?" She asked.

"Yes. Morning runs. 08:00 Meds. Nothing has changed." I responded.

"Well the only other believable explanation could be that you are being overworked psychologically - triggering unnecessary stress to your entire body and also your heart. What are the symptoms you feel mostly?"

"I run out of breath quickly and my heart feels like a million of bees be stinging it." I tried recalling the exact sensation.

"Sounds like heart ache. The emotional, figurative one. Anxiety. Cole, what's going on? You have always been one of my strongest, most invincible patients. The things in your life would never bother you. I am going to prescribe you medication - tranquillisers to be specific just so you can reduce the symptoms when you need. But come back to me within two weeks for another ECG. I'll let Jane by the front desk know that she must slide you into one of the slots." Doctor Ali was a middle-aged cardiologist who was like an Aunt to me. She is divorced without children so she always calls me the son she should of given birth to.

"Okay. Thank you so much again. I'll wait in the lobby for Jane. She seems preoccupied today." As I walked out the light cedar-wood decorated office.

——————————————————————
Doctor Phoenix's Office in Central Vice Hospital:
Bailey's Point of View:

I was patiently waiting in the receptionist area for my gynaecologist appointment. The photo frames displayed happy, chubby babies everywhere and the scented candle reminded me of vanilla cupcakes. I was alone today, Olivia couldn't take leave or else no one would be at the front desk.

"Miss Milano. Doctor is ready for you." The young receptionist said pointing to the direction of his office.

I walked into the little aisle where the office is situated in.

"Miss Milano. How nice to see you again! You look much healthier than previously and your belly is blooming beautifully!" Doctor Phoenix was a happy chap.

"Good Morning Doctor. Yes." I said nervously.

"Let's go to the ultrasound station Miss. You can get undressed and grab a robe in the room next door and meet me by the next room." I made my way out of his office to get undressed.

The doctor marinated the device with a jelly substance and rubbed it on my belly.

"Look at that! Do you see those little hands? What a healthy, growing boy! He's beautiful!" Doctor reassured.

The sight was ... phenomenal. To see another living being, your own baby boy who has all your blood, DNA and traits to be sleeping in your belly. Being pregnant has many downs but a lot more ups. You don't realise how strong a woman's body is to be able to provide life for another human in you. Wow. I was so emotional. My heart glimmered with joy.

"Everything looks great! We will do another check up in two week's time. But so far, delivery will be on the 12th of December young lady. It's time to be certain of a name. See you in two weeks."

I made my way out and got dressed back into my ugly mustard maternity sweater and leggings.

A name. I don't have a name. I always liked Ashley. It is a unisex name but what if it's more on the feminine side. Hmm, what about Chester. Or Jaden. Or even Tobias. I was blessed with ideas as I carelessly walked out into the hospital corridor. Each room in the hospital had its own receptionist and subsequent rooms.

From a distance, I saw a familiar face. It was ... Cole? He was walking out of an office.

"Hey Cole!" I was excited! Maybe he can help me with thinking of a name! But what is he doing here.

Cole turned around and greeted me with a wave! I walked right up to him.

"Hey Cole! What are you doing here? Are you sick?" And I looked into the room he came out of. The sign read:

Doctor Ali.
Specialist in Cardiology.
MBBCh (Vice) MMed (Pret) C.Cardio (Vice).

"Hey Bailey." He didn't seem to pleased to be seen.

"What are you doing here? Is that a cardiologist office you just came out of?" I tried to put two and two together.

"Uhm, yes Bailey. I was here for a checkup." He didn't sound like he wanted me to know.

"Checkup? Oh my word! That is why you were panting so frantically the last time and holding onto your heart like it was paining!" Oh my god. Does he have some condition?

"Mhm. I didn't expect anyone to know. Long story short. I got shot a few years ago while I was on duty. It hit my heart and I miraculously survived. But I'm dealing with the consequences now of having a heart condition. No one knows, not even my brother Alex. I mean Ace. I don't want others to worry. So please don't tell anyone." Cole looked very concerned.

"Wow. I'm so sorry. Are you okay? You need to let your family know so everyone can take care of you. Wait? Is that why you were admitted to hospital the last time?" I was so nervous. So disappointed. How can something like this happen to such a good person yet the ones who are bad people get away with everything? Ethan.

"Yes Bailey. But promise me you won't say anything. Are you here for your baby checkup? How was it!" Cole immediately changed the subject and my selfish self couldn't help but get all excited again!

"It was beautiful! Here's a picture! See? Also I need your help with something. A name!" I sounded like a child who was expecting some sort of treat.

"Sure thing. Let me give you a ride home."

We walked to the parking lot. As I was about to get into the car I heard my name from a familiar, shouting voice.

"BAILEY!"

I suspiciously flung around. Omg.

Ethan.

"Ethan? What are you doing here?" My pulse stopped.

_______________________________
Shit.

Jess x