Chapter 7: my old man.

Third Person's Point of View:

It was a chilly Saturday morning and the raindrops crystallised each amber leaf like a diamond crown. The soft breath of frosty wind howled through the city making it the perfect day for hot pancakes or a large cheesy margherita pizza. Bailey was prepared to leave all the unhealthy shit at the hospital. The unhealthy habits, the unhealthy thoughts and the unhealthy memories. Stepping foot out of the hospital would be equivalent to stepping foot into a new destiny that awaits her.

Cole and Olivia popped into Bailey's room earlier than expected. They were like the parents Bailey never had, the siblings she always prayed for. Bailey needed to come back the following week for a gynae checkup. She got all the support she could ever ask for from her god-sent friends. It was the first time she was certain about her baby boy, the first time she was ready to go into the infant shopping aisle.

On the way to The Grand Shopping Centre, Bailey received a phone call. It was not an unexpected one.

Ethan is calling.

Her positivity abandoned her like her parents did. She witnessed her phone ring and her recovering body froze like meat.

"Who is that?" Olivia asked. Cole kept quiet but he glared at Bailey through the rear view mirror.

"It's Ethan." Bailey responded. Her phone rang a few more times and eventually her lock screen appeared with a missed call. Looking at her wallpaper made a ball grow in her throat. It was obviously a happy, fabricated picture of her ex lover and herself. But he needed to be forgotten. It's almost impossible to erase 10 years of memories with someone.

When they arrived, Cole walked up to Bailey and asked if she was alright. You could see Bailey was lying when she said yes. He knew it too and that's what made him even angrier. He still wanted to blow the motherfucker's brains out. The backhand was merely courtesy. The girls walked together into a few clothing boutiques, picking out new outfits for Bailey. The fact that every damn thing highlighted her perfect 5'2 figure made it really impractical for Cole to not stare. The awkward part is that Bailey caught him a few times and he still didn't learn his lesson. She enjoyed the attention though, I mean, why wouldn't she. The three friends then had a big lunch together after all the necessities were purchased.

"Cole, how do I ever repay you? The hospital fees, the clothes, my stationery... and for saving me. What can I do? I don't deserve any of this. Why are you so kind to me?" Bailey sulked.

Kind Cole just smiled and said "Be healthy and be happy, that's how you repay me."

He was the perfect man.

——————————————————————
Bailey's Point of View:

For the rest of the day, we lounged at Olivia's place. I had my own en suite room and everything was perfectly organised. I felt honoured, like a celebrity a five-star hotel was expecting. Cole received an urgent call from his father and gave us girls some space. I learnt that Olivia is in a secret relationship with one of Cole's close men. His name was Kai, I believe. Olivia's place always smells like a yummy pumpkin spice latte. The cinnamon sweetened up the entire atmosphere.

We discussed a few important things including my shifts at the spa and my study schedule. I decided that I needed to complete my course as a part-time student or my 24 hour day wouldn't accommodate me.

——————————————————————
Back At The Headquarters:
Cole's Point of View:

"Where the fuck you been?" My old man scolded.

"Dad, I was busy." My father's demon was beginning to appear.

"Busy? Busy with? What can be more important than family business? You have disappeared for two days. How can you delegate your duties to one of the juniors without my permission? Do you know how much trouble you could have caused?" He didn't stop yelping at me. Alex and I just stood there with our heads bowed down and our fists clenched tight. My old-fashioned father is a hot head, so the shouting became a routine for my father when any slight inconvenience took place. We were just punching bags.

"I want to know where you have been Cole. Don't even think about lying to me." He asked again.

"Dad, I had some personal things to take care of." I refused to tell him about Bailey. I knew he wouldn't be easy about me prioritising some girl over him and the Black Tigers.

"It has to do with that Dany girl doesn't it?" His smart mouth said. And my body went into panic mode, my adrenaline gushed through my veins.

"No dad, I don't know what you are talking about." I lied. How did he know? I was sure that I did things on the down low.

"My men saw you with that pregnant girl and one of the girls from the spa. I asked you to not lie to me." My dad did not want to let go.

"So what? She's my friend." I blurted.

"Are you sure? Well it better fucking stay that way. Because that girl is pregnant with another man's child. She is not going to have the luxury of stepping foot into our household with some inbred's son. Do you understand?" He demanded.

"Yes, I understand." I was disappointed. I knew all along that something like this might bother my dad. Being in a gang meant keeping the gang running with your own blood. From the corner of my eye, I could see Alex looked equally disappointed. He also heard my father. And that's how both our fantasies of being with Bailey came to an end.

_____________________________
On a serious note, old-fashioned ideologies need to be stopped.

Jess.