Part Fifty Seven

Chapter Fifty Seven

Dylan squeezed her hand as Matilda froze dead in her tracks, “come on sweetheart, we HAVE to deal with this, don’t we?”

Despite the question it was far more statement than that, she looked up at him for a moment, “way to burst our bubble hey?”

He smiled, “we can build a bigger thicker impenetrable bubble once we’ve done this ok?” He squeezed her hand, “this is forever, don't forget that.”

Nodding she started the walk towards Gareth.

                “Matilda...I er...I wanted to apologise for earlier, I should have been more hospitable. You came all this way...”

She shook her head, “I don’t give a damn about hospitality, but I care about you accepting me, accepting Dylan. That’s the deal here, all or nothing. I told you that earlier.”

Dylan admired her spunk as she started to walk away from her brother towards the lift, he met Gareth’s eyes and gave a sympathetic shrug, and immediately her brother started to laugh.

                “Stop Matilda, when did you get so bossy?”

She stopped dead in her tracks, then turned to face him angrily, “you think this is a joke?”

Gareth groaned, “you’re shouting at me, dragging Dylan behind you like a puppy. Forgive me if I see the funny side of it.”

Dylan grinned, “you know how feisty she is Gareth, I’m surprised you’re surprised.”

He sighed, “she hasn’t been though...for a long time.”

His face was pained as he looked between his sister and her lover, then ran a hand over his eyes, “ok, ok. I get that you’ve got your groove back; Dad hasn’t stopped telling me that. But I can’t forget what you did Dylan, I really can’t.”

Dylan nodded, “and I don’t blame you for that, I’m willing to prove myself to her...and you. I know I was wrong.”

Matilda stepped between them, “we were BOTH wrong. It was as much my fault as his. I goaded him, my bluff failed...that was my fault I was trying to force a reaction...I got the wrong one.”

She stared at Gareth and Dylan felt sorry for him, “Gareth, we were never best mates before, but I don’t want to be enemies, ok?”

Gareth nodded, “do you want a drink?” He gestured to the bar, “I don’t want to give the reception staff anymore of a thrill...I’m a bank manager here you know?”

Matilda’s scowl was still evident, but Dylan chuckled and tugged on her arm, and reluctantly she succumbed.

Sat at a corner table at the huge glass window that over looked the view of the town; she crossed her legs and arms, then stared at her brother.

Gareth shook his head then turned to Dylan, “I presume you’re more of an expert...do you know the way through this?”

Dylan was still laughing, and when he gave a shrug he became the victim of the scowl too.

                “Matilda.” Gareth leaned forward, “don’t be like this, I came here to sort things out, not cause more problems.”

She nodded, then added snippily, “so says the man who threw his toys out of his pram earlier! Gareth don’t come all holier than thou with me.”