Part Twenty Seven

Chapter Twenty Seven

It was well after six on that first day, and she was still ensconced in her work. She had so many half promises, then there was an issue with the marquee provider and some changes to the price for the sign writing. These were all distractions from the real issue. The lack of celebrity at the celebrity golf event. The hospitality and ticket sales depended on them being big, household names.

Dropping her head into her hands she sighed, this was going to be a PR disaster. There was no other way of looking at it.

                “Aren’t you going home today?”

Mattie looked up to see Dylan stood in the doorway an awkward smile on his face, he’d avoided her all day, she knew he was giving her space and she was grateful for that chance.

Shaking her head she sat back, “just trying to avoid a disaster, and not having much luck.”

He came across the room and lowered himself into the seat opposite her, “can I help?”

Shrugging she reached into her briefcase and pulled out a file, “this...” She tossed some papers in his direction. “Paul arranged this a year ago, but other than a few C-list celebs, the usual Celebrity Big Brother crowd, we’re struggling to get the names we need. Every department has had this as a goal for so long, its success is important to all the staff here.”

He perused the details for a minute, “so you want some celebs, some pros and a whole host of sponsors?”

She nodded, “in that order. A satellite TV channel was interested, but it’s looking less likely as time goes on, but local TV will be here...I don’t want to cancel...but that’s preferable to it failing.”

He nodded, “I can see that. This was part of your hassle last week?” When she nodded, he added, “just wish you’d told me this earlier.”

                “Why?” She cocked an eyebrow at him.

Dylan sighed as he glanced through the dossier, “argh, these are no more than Z-list! I have my contacts. Leave it with me. Ok?”

She was even more intrigued, “I think so, but I’m curious.”

He sat back in his chair and grinned, “my most recent and soon to be ex-stepfather is a politician, but his brother is a presenter on a certain sports show. He knows SO many golfers on the PGA tour. I mean a few years ago I played fours with him and Ian Poulter, he may not be Rory McIlroy or Bubba Watson, but at the time he was one of the best players.  Let me get on the phone tomorrow, I can dangle a few carrots, call in a few favours. Then a few celebs...he’s best mates with several well known faces, and would you believe an Oscar winning actor? I won’t make any promises yet, but he’ll come good. I know that. Plus the Wallace Corporation will stand as one of the sponsors. That’ll give all my boo boys back in the States a chance to come over and see the hotel at its best.” When she grimaced at the risk that involved he laughed. “I KNOW this will work! So what’s next?”

Dylan smiled as he heard a furious rap at his office door, “come in!”

The door burst open and Matilda almost fell into the office, “how the hell did you do that?”

Brandy who had arrived the previous day was sat next to him and looked between them with wide eyes.

Matilda gave a little apologetic grimace and then relayed the list - “two Premiership footballers, a soap star, a former Blue Peter presenter, a Hollywood Oscar nominee AND three PGA Tour players? Dylan you’ve had thirty six hours. How the hell did you do that?”