Part Fifty Two

Chapter Fifty Two

Breathtaking. She literally stole the breath from his lungs. She looked amazing...but then she always did. Dylan smiled at her, his nerves suddenly evaporated. This is what he wanted to be with her, Matilda, in any way he could. She smiled and his heart lurched in pleasure, excitement, knowing that delicious, captivating smile was ALL for him.

                “You look amazing,” she breathed.

That made his eyes widen, “that’s MY line...and you do too.”

She chuckled, “thanks for the compliment, but I have literally dragged this dress from the bottom of the suitcase...it’s anything but as it should be.” She brushed at the creases with her hands, until he took a hand in his.

                “You look perfect, now come on, let’s hit the town.”

They walked out of the hotel, turning along the street until their destination loomed over them in the distance.

Looking up at him she grinned, “in a resort for five minutes and you manage to find the only five star restaurant.”

He chuckled, “it’s the one thing I won’t compromise on.”

Their fingers were entwined as he led her along the short walk to the restaurant, and already that feeling was driving him insane. They were met at the entrance to the hotel and shown to a very private balcony, a table set for two, champagne already in a bucket of ice.

The traditionally clad waiter pulled out her chair, and Matilda was glad of the distance from Dylan, she was constantly having to remind herself that this was a date, that this was him proving how he felt to her. She’d demanded distance, a display of affection, she was making him prove his worth. Throwing herself at him wouldn’t help her cause, yet that was exactly what she craved, his attention, his love.

                “I’ve ordered for us...in advance.”

Her eyes popped up to look at him; he wasn’t usually that demanding or controlling. She gave a smile, “is this you puffing out your chest in masculine pride...or proving you know what I’d like?”

He grinned, “you’ll have to wonder about that yourself.”

She watched him as he leaned back in his seat, his eyes never leaving hers, but there was still a tension between them, they never struggled for conversation, but now suddenly nothing flowed smoothly, and she didn’t know how to rectify it.

As their starters arrived, Matilda cared less about what the meal was, and more about the fact that the atmosphere was becoming more and more tense, their relationship was fragmenting around them. This wasn’t what she wanted, but then, she wasn’t sure what she wanted exactly. Or rather how to make this become what she wanted, she’d goaded Dylan, forced him to be someone he wasn’t, and suddenly he was holding her at arm’s length, instead of showing her how he felt he was backing off. The exact opposite of what she wanted. Her plans of him declaring his undying devotion, the  romance, the attention...it was all going up in smoke.

A clatter caused her to look up, in time to see Dylan toss his cutlery onto his plate.

                “I can’t do this Matilda.”

She gulped, “do what?” She dreaded the response, he looked pale, sad. Dare she say defeated?

He looked to the ceiling taking a few deep breaths, “this.” He looked back at her, “you want some grand gesture, you want me to prove that I love you, you want us to date, to start a fresh. And I wanted to do that...but I can’t...I’m not enough. I don’t know how to be what you want. We always were friends, that was always the easy part...and now, now we can’t even talk, I don’t know how to prove anything to you.” He sighed, “I suppose I fail at the first hurdle, maybe my mother’s right, you deserve better than me.”